2023 Snapper Season

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Re: 2023 Snapper Season

Post by Tim399 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:05 am

maxmikoo wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:24 am
Well i feel like we must be getting closer, i cant work out if were the only ones not catching big ones at the minute. 4 pinkies around 35-40 today if i had to guess. This time i sounded up around a contour line but didn't bother looking for marks, just watched where the reef dropped onto sand at abt 8m. Managed to snag and lose about 6 rigs although i don't know how much avoiding that can be done. Do most of you consistently catch bigger snapper (50cm+) or are we just impatient and it takes a good 6 or 7 trips until you get lucky. I feel like sone people can get them everytime.
You’re not the only one, I’ve struggled so far this season. Previous years the group I fish with have had multiple bag out sessions on big fish by this time of the year (6m and less in altona), but only 2 good fish have been caught so far. Not sure if we have just not been in the right place at the right time, or if the pattern of fish behaviour is a little different this year. Has this season been different for anyone else?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:04 am

Finally opened an account on the weekend (50cm/60cm). Both fish taken off Black Rock yesterday in 18mt @ 10am on pilchards. Lots of arches around (all depths)....bay seems pretty good this year.
Attachments
fish.jpg

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:27 am

Mattblack wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:04 am
Finally opened an account on the weekend (50cm/60cm). Both fish taken off Black Rock yesterday in 18mt @ 10am on pilchards. Lots of arches around (all depths)....bay seems pretty good this year.
Beautiful fish. Nice to leave room for upsizing later aswell.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence but my first trip out with the new sounder was easily my best ever. Finally managed a good 11 fish. Even tho the biggest was only around 45cm they were all a good average and we managed to land about 11 so i'm over the moon. Was a very lumpy southerly in the 4.75 but the tide and sunrise lined up perfectly and was flowing in the same direction as the wind. I also noticed that the barometer was at about 1024 and a steep jump in water temp around 18.5 according to my sounder. Not sure what had the effect between that and the sounder but i'm finally satisfied. Now just for sone larger fish.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:41 am

maxmikoo wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:27 am
Mattblack wrote:

I'm not sure if it's coincidence but my first trip out with the new sounder was easily my best ever. Finally managed a good 11 fish. Even tho the biggest was only around 45cm they were all a good average and we managed to land about 11 so i'm over the moon. Was a very lumpy southerly in the 4.75 but the tide and sunrise lined up perfectly and was flowing in the same direction as the wind. I also noticed that the barometer was at about 1024 and a steep jump in water temp around 18.5 according to my sounder. Not sure what had the effect between that and the sounder but i'm finally satisfied. Now just for sone larger fish.
Sounds like you're doing everything right :tu: Its been a few years and and I'm still learning (apparently, once you 'crack the code' it gets easier and catches are more consistent)

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:52 am

Mattblack wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:41 am
maxmikoo wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:27 am
Mattblack wrote:

Sounds like you're doing everything right :tu: Its been a few years and and I'm still learning (apparently, once you 'crack the code' it gets easier and catches are more consistent)
The code = anchor where the fish are .
They turn same spots and time every year.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:29 pm

[/quote]

Yep. I've learnt that there aren't fish everywhere and there's no point anchoring and hoping, your chances aren't good. The tricky part now is finding them, especially bigger ones. Since i've got no marks to "check again from where i've caught fish before" i'm spending my time sounding on contours and holes/rises. Didn't actually look for many big fish today as conditions were painful to sound in. Hopefully the easterly tmrw morn will cause less chop and i'll spend more time trying to find the monster.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:20 pm

maxmikoo wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:29 pm
Yep. I've learnt that there aren't fish everywhere and there's no point anchoring and hoping, your chances aren't good. The tricky part now is finding them, especially bigger ones. Since i've got no marks to "check again from where i've caught fish before" i'm spending my time sounding on contours and holes/rises. Didn't actually look for many big fish today as conditions were painful to sound in. Hopefully the easterly tmrw morn will cause less chop and i'll spend more time trying to find the monster.
[/quote]

Couple of things I've tried this year is moving every 30 minutes if not getting bites and tightening up the drag when I'm using circle hooks (also learnt there's a right and wrong way to tie on circle hooks ;-) )

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:22 am

Couple of things I've tried this year is moving every 30 minutes if not getting bites and tightening up the drag when I'm using circle hooks (also learnt there's a right and wrong way to tie on circle hooks ;-) )
[/quote]

I think part of the process is learning when to bother fishing. For some reason i had a feeling that it was gunna be no good but i'm not sure why. Southerly, baro of 1018, tide and sunrise. Surprise surprise no fish after a bag of pillies lots of sounding on the flats and about 4 moves. I wonder what does it. Maybe i'm not sounding in the right areas. I try my best to work contour lines, drop offs etc but most of ppb is pretty featureless. Where do you guys look to sound?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:36 pm

maxmikoo wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:22 am
I think part of the process is learning when to bother fishing. For some reason i had a feeling that it was gunna be no good but i'm not sure why. Southerly, baro of 1018, tide and sunrise. Surprise surprise no fish after a bag of pillies lots of sounding on the flats and about 4 moves. I wonder what does it. Maybe i'm not sounding in the right areas. I try my best to work contour lines, drop offs etc but most of ppb is pretty featureless. Where do you guys look to sound?
[/quote]
Where u fishing
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:42 pm

bowl wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:36 pm
maxmikoo wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:22 am
Where u fishing
[/quote]

Fishing out off black rock sandy and beaumaris. Heading out again now

Return to “Snapper Fishing”