Sounding in PPB

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
maxmikoo

Sounding in PPB

Post by maxmikoo » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:09 am

Hey all, looking to upgrade my budget sounder (garmin echo 300c) to a slightly less budget sounder. I've been looking at the hook reveal series and vivid striker series. I really liked the idea of the garmin except the gps needs to be self discovered if that makes sense and it's only 500 wards so i was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

While i'm here does anyone truly sound up there snapper or are most of you successful just dropping anchor in a decent looking area. Lmk because i've tried both and i'm struggling to catch more than pinkies.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Re: Sounding in PPB

Post by Tackleberry » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:52 am

Why the hang up on a big snapper some people go a lifetime to get one 20lb or over and some never do .
The pinkys are far better eating anway .
Now I'm not on ppb and I fish a lot deeper water so in may not be relevant but this is a pick of my hook reveal 9 on 455 khz with triple shot transducer .......
Screenshot_20231113_114248_Gallery_copy_1024x478.jpg
Now if you are expecting them to appear on the screen like they do on a simulator it rearly ever does .
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:28 pm

Mostly I use my sounder to look for bottom type , snapper fishing ,or weed when whiting fishing.
I also use bathymetric charts for looking for steep banks and channels.. I can guarantee you can catch fish when nothing is showing on the sounder. Snapper will hide in between rocks , whiting hide in the weed, flatties and gummies never show as they are mostly hard on the bottom. A nice ledge with a bunch of fish echoes on it is always a good start as it shows activity, but never go past a nice bit of bottom without giving it a few drops to see what's there. I have access to few Sounders on different boats. Hook reveal is a good unit. So is the Elite.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:40 pm

Tackleberry wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:52 am
Why the hang up on a big snapper some people go a lifetime to get one 20lb or over and some never do .
The pinkys are far better eating anway .
Now I'm not on ppb and I fish a lot deeper water so in may not be relevant but this is a pick of my hook reveal 9 on 455 khz with triple shot transducer .......
Screenshot_20231113_114248_Gallery_copy_1024x478.jpg
Now if you are expecting them to appear on the screen like they do on a simulator it rearly ever does .
Good question mate. Smaller ones do taste better but something about the idea of catching a real big one keeps me on the water on thinking abt being on the water 24/7 rain hail or shine. It's a genuine addiction.

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:42 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:28 pm
Mostly I use my sounder to look for bottom type , snapper fishing ,or weed when whiting fishing.
I also use bathymetric charts for looking for steep banks and channels.. I can guarantee you can catch fish when nothing is showing on the sounder. Snapper will hide in between rocks , whiting hide in the weed, flatties and gummies never show as they are mostly hard on the bottom. A nice ledge with a bunch of fish echoes on it is always a good start as it shows activity, but never go past a nice bit of bottom without giving it a few drops to see what's there. I have access to few Sounders on different boats. Hook reveal is a good unit. So is the Elite.
That's been my philosophy so far and it's not been failing exactly but i'd say my biggest fish by boat this season is 40cm so i'm thinking that sounding them up might give me a better chance of filtering out some smaller fish.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”