Handling Snapper

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Handling Snapper

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:58 pm

With the recent Tea Tree comp on there were a few with concerns about floating fish in fact it comes up every year - always the same that guys are upgrading fish
and although some might, on the whole I dout the practice happens that much

However there are still floaters all season and a lot happen due to bad handling of the fish
this info sheet is worth a read on both

How to humanely kill the fish you keep AND Give the fish you release a fighting chance
from a welfare perspective

if nothing else it food for thought

http://www.panaquatic.com/fishinfo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

nhillboy

Re: Handling Snapper

Post by nhillboy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks Cheater, that was a very good read... :thumbsup:

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks for sharing this information Cheater. Very informative and a must read for all Snapper fishermen and women.

I have stickied this topic for all to see.

foggybottom

Post by foggybottom » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:38 am

I remember seeing some fishing show using release weights to ease the impact of barotrauma by getting the fish back down to the bottom quickly (thus letting its swim bladder compress and while i'm sure still making the fish feel a bit crook, not killing it)

found this website from WA.

http://www.recfishwest.org.au/publicati ... eight.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:09 am

The thing I found interesting was how shorter time in air after catching the fish it suffers so much
lets face it if you were to do the brag mat thing and photo a fish as well as unhooking the fish 30 - 60 sec is not out of the question before release

We have all swum fish off some take quite some time to come good but how many dont make it past 12 hours with gill damage or other problems you can't see
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:42 am

cheaterparts wrote:The thing I found interesting was how shorter time in air after catching the fish it suffers so much
lets face it if you were to do the brag mat thing and photo a fish as well as unhooking the fish 30 - 60 sec is not out of the question before release

We have all swum fish off some take quite some time to come good but how many dont make it past 12 hours with gill damage or other problems you can't see

Great post, cheaterparts. This quote explains a lot

"After exhausting the fish and then holding them out of the water for 30 seconds, 38% of the fish died. Air exposure for 60 seconds led to 72% dying. This shows the dramatic impact of air exposure to an exhausted fish. "

Almost makes it pointless releasing an exhausted fish if it's been out of water for > 60s. (Unless legally required to do so)

spudtrans
Has liked: 30 times

Post by spudtrans » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:45 am

great reading, thank you

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:38 am

I like the suggestion to hold your breath for as long as the fish is out of the water. While it certainly puts things into perspective, i'td probably lead to a lot of unconscious fishos littering our piers

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:51 pm

Releasing a fish requires morre than just throwing it back.
They need to be suported & 'swum' until they start to recover adequately.
There really is no reason why a snapper that is properly looked after can't be successfully released.
I've done it on many occasions myself.

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:10 pm

on topic....watched this today which i thought was interesting;

"Studies carried out by NSW DPI have demonstrated that Snapper are very resilient to the effects of barotrauma when released, provided they can get back down to depth. The most effective way to do this is to use a release weight.

The video shows a number of snapper caught from 25-35 metres and being returned underwater using a release weight and a pole mounted camera. You can see the last snapper visibly becoming thinner as the expanded gases contract as the fish gets deeper in the water column..........."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU3o ... 9990M#t=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Snapper Fishing”