where to find out beach worms

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: where to find out beach worms

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:17 pm

I am sure they are not ascaris worms. :-) beach worms, the kind of hairy worms, pinkish in color. he gets them there the kite surfers do their thing. It is the area where the marina development is happening. You will not miss it. Look for the pile of rocks. That place is too shallow and dries up during low tide.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Cuda » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Fish-cador wrote:I am sure they are not ascaris worms. :-) beach worms, the kind of hairy worms, pinkish in color. he gets them there the kite surfers do their thing. It is the area where the marina development is happening. You will not miss it. Look for the pile of rocks. That place is too shallow and dries up during low tide.
Thanks FC...I thought they might be blood worms or tube worms or something, as they are different to real beach worms and beach worms are generally not found down here. But the description is right, and I'm pleasently surprised that you can actually get them around Melbourne area. I hope I can find the spot you're talkng about and try and get some.
Thanks again :thumbsup:

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:17 pm

Warneet pier at low tide is good for bass yabbies
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

ivanmoodley

Post by ivanmoodley » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi there,

Sorry to bump this thread back up again but just wanted to find out where on Altona Beach to pump for these worms. Have been trying to track these down for months with little success. If I entering from Altona Meadows side is it before or after the Pier? Any help would be appreciated. :reel:
Thanks

Ivan

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:27 am

ivanmoodley wrote:Hi there,

Sorry to bump this thread back up again but just wanted to find out where on Altona Beach to pump for these worms. Have been trying to track these down for months with little success. If I entering from Altona Meadows side is it before or after the Pier? Any help would be appreciated. :reel:
Thanks

Ivan
It used to be a great spot for worms.....until the hordes descended on it and cleaned it out. Saw them basically turn over every inch of sand every low tide, SMH. Hopefully people leave it alone long enough for it to recover.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:19 am

ivanmoodley wrote:Hi there,

Thanks

Ivan
for blood worms and tube worms, right side of the pier, low tide only. Walk through the mud, look for pimples ( :crazy: ) if you want blood worms. It is easier to get the tubies in area still submerged in very shallow water. You may find places where they will be dozens if not hundreds of tubes/holes in inches of water. Concentrate on that area. Pump like there is no tomorrow and you will eventually pull up a few.

TIP: you will find the tubes where there are sea grass growing so head for the grassy areas.

I use a big sieve or the plastic strainers from $2 shops. I pump and dump the contents on that. After a few back breaking pumps, I clean up the sieve and pick up the worms. Don't even try pumping without a sieve or you will only waste your time. When the water gets stirred up, you will never see the worms.

Good luck
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

GregExplores
Has liked: 67 times

Post by GregExplores » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:26 pm

fishingvic wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:11 am
There are always plenty of worms and Bass Yabbies around Blairgowrie on a low tide...

Other members may be able to help locate them closer to Melbourne
Hey, can you still find bass yabbies around Blairgowrie? I fish there alot and haven't seen any.... Thanks!

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Just look for their holes in shallow water.
PS: This post was from 7 years ago!
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:50 am

Beach worms are great baits and I can say it has been the most infuriating and fun thing I have ever tried to do. Little bastards are very hard to catch!

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”