Help piece together bay fishing advice.

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Thomassssss

Help piece together bay fishing advice.

Post by Thomassssss » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:34 pm

I was at a party recently, and I got pretty merry and as a result I can’t remember the advice that a fisho was giving me on the topic of fishing in a bay.

I’ve been fishing for flathead from my canoe at Coningham beach in Tasmania. (I know, I’ve moved from Vic but I still like this forum best, and I’m seeking general advice here) I’ve had pretty good success flicking plastics for flatties; life’s good.

Anyway, I mentioned to this bloke at the party that I’m keen to start targeting other fish and asked his advice, as I’m new to saltwater fishing. He was describing a lure that to the best of my memory was like a blade or something that he was suggesting I cast behind my canoe and that I just paddle around with that following behind me. I think he said the salmon would go for it amongst a few other fish. He had a specific lure in mind and I just can’t remember what!

I realise this is vague, but on the off chance anyone knows what he was on about or if you have any other tips of what I could achieve in my canoe paddling around the bay I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Help piece together bay fishing advice.

Post by 4liters » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:07 pm

A metal blade lure maybe, or a soft plastic vibe? Salmon will hit nearly everything so that doesn’t narrow it down much.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:27 pm

I would go for a floating, diving hardbody if your only chasing salmon/tailor or other mid/top water dwelling species. Because you are just dragging it around behind your canoe and potentially not paying much attention to that rod and lure (perhaps you are actively fishing another rod also) then when you stop paddling the lure will float up rather than sink down and potentially get snagged. Good idea to do similar with a squid jig also if squid are around, just keep the length of line slightly shorter than the depth of the water so you don’t get snagged again. Blades are great for actively fishing the bottom in deep water where softies take ages to get down to the depths when weighted properly and can be totally useless in any sort of current.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:50 pm

The 'technique' is called trolling (lure swimming behind a moving water vessel). It is effective for pelagic species, including aussie salmon.
Not too sure about vibe lure that person was talking about, but there are few lures you can use for trolling to look for aussie salmon. Hard body lures such as rapala x-rap, metal slug such as halco twisty or soft plastics such as squidgy flickbait or paddle tail.

Usually aussie salmon isn't too fussy anyway.

Vibe lure however, can be effective for flathead by doing a cast-wait-retrieve-wait-retrieve... And so on.
Metal vibe such as TT switch blade or hardbody crank vibe such as rapala rippin' rap or jackall TN60.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”