Punchbowl claims another one

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Punchbowl claims another one

Post by bowl » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:43 pm

Reports on news of another death of the rocks.
Screenshot_20191223-194243.png
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Punchbowl claims another one

Post by rb85 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:25 pm

Do people not understand ocean conditions swell forecasts etc. My initial thoughts when seeing this on the news was as sad as it is it was no day to go fish off that ledge.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:32 pm

Onshore wind and 2m of swell, probably not the kind of conditions I'd be thinking of going rock fishing in.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:54 am

Another guy the day before at the GoR as well and ANOTHER in NZ earlier in the week.

Last week Cameron and I watched a primary school group show up on the ocean facing ledge we were fishing. While the teachers and most of the kids played in the rock pools, two of the boys ran straight up to the edge of the water, got down near the thick weed and were instantly swept in. After we pulled them out we had a couple of choice words with the teachers, who didnt' want to listen to a word I had to say. I've been swept from that exact spot 5 years ago, and it's an unbelievable miracle nobody drowned.

The ledge is safe to fish MAYBE 10 days of the year and there is one little 5m long bit of it that you can stand on even then. The rest of it is completely out of the question even for someone with 30 years of experience.

For gods sake, put 15 minutes into understanding conditions and locations before you set foot on a rock ledge. I wrote a long post about understanding rock conditions here.

http://www.fishing-victoria.com/viewtop ... =rock+life
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:00 am

This is punchbowl in 1.5m swell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzzCu-Sw3Dg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3Tt0VK8scbBkYP0BXhv6HDf028tEIGwbcCb1LB9Kf3bs6CxMzOyeqGm6Q

These guys are wearing heavy clothes, runners, with no safety gear.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to ever go fishing in conditions like this.

It's garbage like this that gets councils to lock chunks of the coast up then the same people scream about the Greenies taking their spots.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:06 am

saw a video on facebook of about 10 blokes fishing punchbowl this morning, not a lifejacket in sight, no safety gear whatsoever and all wearing heavy clothes. luckily the swell was negligible but you'd think people would be a bit more precautious the day after someone literally died there.
it blows my mind that punchbowl claims lives but people still manage to be so utterly negligent of being safe. so foolish.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:08 am

That's crazy no fish is worth risking your life for :dn:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:14 am

croe04 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:06 am
saw a video on facebook of about 10 blokes fishing punchbowl this morning, not a lifejacket in sight, no safety gear whatsoever and all wearing heavy clothes. luckily the swell was negligible but you'd think people would be a bit more precautious the day after someone literally died there.
it blows my mind that punchbowl claims lives but people still manage to be so utterly negligent of being safe. so foolish.
I reckon there’s a bunch of people who have decided that if people keep fishing a spot with such a reputation for killing people it must be a top spot or they wouldn’t bother.

I’ve never seen a report from there that was better than what is normal for any other spot. I’ve seen a school of kings near there when I went past on the kayak but given the amount of bommies and rubble in front of the ledge I reckon you’d have an extremely hard time landing one from the rocks.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:45 pm

DougieK wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:54 am
Another guy the day before at the GoR as well and ANOTHER in NZ earlier in the week.

Last week Cameron and I watched a primary school group show up on the ocean facing ledge we were fishing. While the teachers and most of the kids played in the rock pools, two of the boys ran straight up to the edge of the water, got down near the thick weed and were instantly swept in. After we pulled them out we had a couple of choice words with the teachers, who didnt' want to listen to a word I had to say. I've been swept from that exact spot 5 years ago, and it's an unbelievable miracle nobody drowned.

The ledge is safe to fish MAYBE 10 days of the year and there is one little 5m long bit of it that you can stand on even then. The rest of it is completely out of the question even for someone with 30 years of experience.

For gods sake, put 15 minutes into understanding conditions and locations before you set foot on a rock ledge. I wrote a long post about understanding rock conditions here.

http://www.fishing-victoria.com/viewtop ... =rock+life
I would be taking it up with the school principal if you knew what school they were from.
That sort of attitude around small children are not ideal , and definitely not the place to be going on a school excursion ffs...

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:48 pm

That's 3 people who wont be celebrating Christmas ever again..
What a tradegy specially at the time of year when you should be celebrating with friends and family.
RIP fellow fishermen.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”