Success at Seaford.

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Success at Seaford.

Post by Irishfisherman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:42 am

After my success at a local creek, I still felt compelled to satisfy my fishing urge. So after a quick check of the forecast I realised it was a perfect night for some wading in the shallows. Previously at Carrum I speared a few flounder and flathead and was hoping to replicate the same success tonight. So I got my waders, along with a torch and spear and headed down to the beach. The water was crystal clear, and I could easily see the bottom, so I began wading, noticing that there wasn’t a whole lot around, a few crabs and small flounder but otherwise pretty bare. I persisted and eventually a half decent flounder appeared, my spear hovered over its unsuspecting head; but then I had second thoughts given it’s size. I couldn’t remember the size limit for flounder and so painfully refrained from taking it. It had now been about an hour and I was unsure of whether I would indeed bring anything home. Suddenly, as I was giving up a reddish coloured fish appeared in the light. I couldn’t figure out what it was but instinctively pulled the sling back on my spear. It darted in front of me, and I realised it was a red mullet, prompting me to take a risky shot at it. It hit! And in sheer clumsy excitement I pulled it out of the water, it wriggled and subsequently come loose and was once again in the water. In shock, I chased it down taking yet another shot and successfully pinning it again. Once speared I held it down into the sand and was fully aware of the sacrifice I would have to make to pick it up. The whole length of my left arm and the three layers of jumpers I had on we’re now drenched and water had gotten into my waders after bending down to grab it with my hand. But it didn’t matter. Possibly the most delicious fish and a large one at that was now in my grasp and I couldn’t have been happier. I then headed home very pleased and satisfied with the results. I decided to donate the fish to my dad who absolutely loves red mullet. A very good day today, and I’m so glad to be fishing again.
Attachments
523DD9AF-C51D-4158-AC6F-7177D10AF60E.jpeg
D339F32F-B21A-415E-99F2-CAFD3B4516AB.jpeg
34cm red mullet. My PB.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Success at Seaford.

Post by Nude up » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:49 am

I am waiting for it to warm up a bit before getting back to look for flounder. You must have been freezing especially when wet but nice fish.

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:04 am

Nude up wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:49 am
I am waiting for it to warm up a bit before getting back to look for flounder. You must have been freezing especially when wet but nice fish.
Yes I was freezing by the time I walked home, but totally worth it.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:19 am

Thats a big red mullet well done, i dont think ive caught one that big.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:55 am

Congrats on the new PB mate!
That’s a nice size for a red mullet 😃
Well done.
Cheers 👍🏻

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”