Carrum-new species!

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Carrum-new species!

Post by Irishfisherman » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:33 pm

I was about to head off to sleep when I thought I’d check the weather, just in case. Well, willyweather said 0, so I hopped out of bed, chucked my waders on, grabbed a spear and torch and walked across the road to the beach. As I was getting close I could hear the waves crashing on the shore, definitely not what I wanted to hear especially given the forecast. But I convinced myself that it might just be worth looking around. Once I got in the water I noticed it was pretty murky, also far from ideal and I was now pretty confident that I would be going home empty handed. So I waded out, about knee deep, and soon noticed that my waders were leaking; the product of walking too eagerly through the blackberries while trout fishing. Now fully despondent and not even a minute in, I notice out of the corner of my eye a BIG fish edging towards the light, it then darted in towards me before circling back around and heading away again, I wasn’t exactly sure what species it was but before I had time to figure it out it came back yet again before stopping momentarily right in front of me. I jabbed the spear in behind its head, before lunging on top of it to stop it getting loose. Catch secured! I couldn’t have been happier, my first ever Morwong, pretty sure it’s a dusky. Decided to call it a night after only about 3 minutes, feet now soaking and T-shirt drenched I trudged home absolutely ecstatic. Now, I’ve heard they’re not the best eating, and I’m not looking for confirmation, but I’m going to try it tomorrow in panko crumbs, hopefully it’s edible. Anyway, I’m still over the moon, and can’t believe I caught my first Morwong! Hope this encourages some others to give it a go!
Cheers.
Attachments
0FDE4ECD-9A01-4A94-B101-BDDCB2E0C66E.jpeg
62E654E1-DBA2-44E8-A2D8-07F7B10E5687.jpeg

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Re: Carrum-new species!

Post by Robbie1950 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:10 am

Are Morwong's good eating??

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:58 am

Morwongs are meant to be good eating from all the people I have heard but if your looking for a fair taste test to see if it’s any good you should compare it with something else

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:42 am

Robbie1950 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:10 am
Are Morwong's good eating??
I’ll let you know what I think later once I’ve tried some. But from what I’ve read it seems that they’re a pretty mild tasting fish.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:23 am

Congrats mate.
Nice work 😃
Cheers 👍🏻

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:51 am

Great report Irish & nice fish
Walked across the road to the beach, I can only dream of that.
Waders?? Would you need them this time of year???
Cheers Gra

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:50 pm

We occasionally speared that species of Morwong in SA when we were crabbing and the locals call them Butterfish - even straight from the water into the pan they are a poor third to KGW and Garfish and after freezing are even worse. They are definitely not as good to eat as the Morwong we regularly caught on the reefs out from Bermagui. A good catch in murky water at night though!

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:48 pm

Texas wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:51 am
Cheers Gra
Don’t really need them but they are more for protection against stingrays, not that they would do much.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:47 am

Irishfisherman wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:48 pm
Texas wrote:
Cheers Gra
Don’t really need them but they are more for protection against stingrays, not that they would do much.
Maybe start wearing chain mail underneath the waders for protection lol just kidding it would be to hard to walk with all that weight maybe wear a wetsuit rather then waders they seem to be thicker and would probably give you a bit more protection

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:50 am

e.welch wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:47 am
Irishfisherman wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:48 pm
Texas wrote:
Cheers Gra
Maybe start wearing chain mail underneath the waders for protection lol just kidding it would be to hard to walk with all that weight maybe wear a wetsuit rather then waders they seem to be thicker and would probably give you a bit more protection
Cheers for the advice mate, I’ve tried wetsuits before but because I’m wading it just starts to chafe after a little while. Plus it gets too hot when wearing one out of the water. I’m only walking slowly anyway so waders create much resistance and they don’t really weigh me down. In case anyone’s interested I tried some of the Morwong and it was good, it had a mild fishy taste with moist flesh. I’d honestly take it over eating a snapper any day.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”