Waste of time/money stuff

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Waste of time/money stuff

Post by Sebb » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:54 pm

Paying to get locations.

To me, finding, searching and researching, cracking the codes, are all part of fishing (at least the fishing that I do). If someone shares locations to me, yeah kool awesome, but I won't purposely asking and paying people for their secret locations etc.

It's a shortcut for sure, but it's not just about the location. Two people in that same secret spot fishing next to each other can have diff results. Knowing the location is only a half of the picture.

Andrews would fish St Leonards pier and catch 5 squid, and 25 other people on the same pier would not catch anything. True enough Andrews? :-D
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:15 pm

The cheap gear paired with an experience fisherman will catch more fish than an amature with all the fancy stuff but if you can afford the high end stuff it's just more pleasant to use. Sometimes it's just about the bragging rights showing off the newest model and flashing your pride to the other fisho to make them jealous. But I do want to add a wife with no interest in fishing to the list. They're definitely expensive and a waste of time brining along. Hope mine doesn't read this lol

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:05 pm

Kenle wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:15 pm
The cheap gear paired with an experience fisherman will catch more fish than an amature with all the fancy stuff but if you can afford the high end stuff it's just more pleasant to use. Sometimes it's just about the bragging rights showing off the newest model and flashing your pride to the other fisho to make them jealous. But I do want to add a wife with no interest in fishing to the list. They're definitely expensive and a waste of time brining along. Hope mine doesn't read this lol
Otherwise no Banyan For you
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:27 pm

Kenle wrote:
2 true

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:32 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:05 pm
Kenle wrote:
Otherwise no Banyan For you
So that's what Banyans mean lol

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:09 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:21 am
I don't agree with braid and shinny lures. Some people like to fish for other things rather than Whiting and without them you will struggle. I would like to add egi rods to the list though
Nothing wrong with egi rods either.
I find with the longer rod and specific taper I can make the jigs dance nicely when needed. You will struggle on a shorter stiffer rod to do the same.
If I'm fishing for bait and need squid asap I dont bother with it, I still catch them ofcourse but it's nowhere as fun. And I'm predominantly using smaller sized jigs.

Ofcourse you don't need anything of the above sort if all your doing is setting rods in the holders and drifting your favourite grounds in the pitch of the dark using mono line, and then wonder why you need to change the barbs on the jigs to bigger ones cause the squid aren't hooking themselves properly..

Everyone has their way to fish, just because one is buying GPS marks and fishing there and having success, doesn't mean the other shouldn't use braided lines or shiney lures, or perhaps someone else shouldn't try for snapper using graphite rods.

I'd hate to think what these fisherman would do if they got thrown out of their comfort zone and had to fish with other equipment.

Im excited at the prospect of trying new things, maybe I'm crazy but I'm going fishing to satisfy myself, not someone else.

Cheers

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:42 pm

i reckon all the best thoughts come when you are when you fishing.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:18 am

purple5ive wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:09 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
I don't agree with braid and shinny lures. Some people like to fish for other things rather than Whiting and without them you will struggle. I would like to add egi rods to the list though
I find with the longer rod and specific taper I can make the jigs dance nicely when needed. You will struggle on a shorter stiffer rod to do the same.
If I'm fishing for bait and need squid asap I dont bother with it, I still catch them ofcourse but it's nowhere as fun. And I'm predominantly using smaller sized jigs.

Ofcourse you don't need anything of the above sort if all your doing is setting rods in the holders and drifting your favourite grounds in the pitch of the dark using mono line, and then wonder why you need to change the barbs on the jigs to bigger ones cause the squid aren't hooking themselves properly..

Everyone has their way to fish, just because one is buying GPS marks and fishing there and having success, doesn't mean the other shouldn't use braided lines or shiney lures, or perhaps someone else shouldn't try for snapper using graphite rods.

I'd hate to think what these fisherman would do if they got thrown out of their comfort zone and had to fish with other equipment.

Im excited at the prospect of trying new things, maybe I'm crazy but I'm going fishing to satisfy myself, not someone else.

Cheers
I like to chase bass and EP's and without braid and fluro a person would struggle. I just don't rate catching squid. I don't have a problem with people targeting squid, it's just not that exciting for me. I have caught squid in every way possible, even with jigs just sitting on the bottom and besides getting squirted in the eyes, especially if you use a kayak, it's just a bit boring. When you catch Bass on 6lb gear thgat over 40cm, the rest is mediocre

Master Baiter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Master Baiter » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:57 am

Arm Chair Fisho's.
Always take a good look at what you are about to eat. It’s not so important to know what it is .but it’s critical to know what it was.
Wally 20/6/20

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:13 am

Seniorfisho wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:18 am
purple5ive wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:09 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:

Cheers
I like to chase bass and EP's and without braid and fluro a person would struggle. I just don't rate catching squid. I don't have a problem with people targeting squid, it's just not that exciting for me. I have caught squid in every way possible, even with jigs just sitting on the bottom and besides getting squirted in the eyes, especially if you use a kayak, it's just a bit boring. When you catch Bass on 6lb gear thgat over 40cm, the rest is mediocre
That's an interesting observation. I rarely fish for bass now but over my years in northern NSW I caught hundreds of bass on lures, going back to quaint things like the old, but deadly, Flopy. I never used braid or fluoro. I'm not knocking braid but we sometimes forget that braid is a relatively recent development and we were successfully fishing, without struggling, long before braid came into vogue.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”