colnick wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:13 am
Seniorfisho wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:18 am
purple5ive wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:09 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:21 am
I don't agree with braid and shinny lures. Some people like to fish for other things rather than Whiting and without them you will struggle. I would like to add egi rods to the list though
Nothing wrong with egi rods either.
I find with the longer rod and specific taper I can make the jigs dance nicely when needed. You will struggle on a shorter stiffer rod to do the same.
If I'm fishing for bait and need squid asap I dont bother with it, I still catch them ofcourse but it's nowhere as fun. And I'm predominantly using smaller sized jigs.

Ofcourse you don't need anything of the above sort if all your doing is setting rods in the holders and drifting your favourite grounds in the pitch of the dark using mono line, and then wonder why you need to change the barbs on the jigs to bigger ones cause the squid aren't hooking themselves properly..

Everyone has their way to fish, just because one is buying GPS marks and fishing there and having success, doesn't mean the other shouldn't use braided lines or shiney lures, or perhaps someone else shouldn't try for snapper using graphite rods.

I'd hate to think what these fisherman would do if they got thrown out of their comfort zone and had to fish with other equipment.

Im excited at the prospect of trying new things, maybe I'm crazy but I'm going fishing to satisfy myself, not someone else.

Cheers
I like to chase bass and EP's and without braid and fluro a person would struggle. I just don't rate catching squid. I don't have a problem with people targeting squid, it's just not that exciting for me. I have caught squid in every way possible, even with jigs just sitting on the bottom and besides getting squirted in the eyes, especially if you use a kayak, it's just a bit boring. When you catch Bass on 6lb gear thgat over 40cm, the rest is mediocre
That's an interesting observation. I rarely fish for bass now but over my years in northern NSW I caught hundreds of bass on lures, going back to quaint things like the old, but deadly, Flopy. I never used braid or fluoro. I'm not knocking braid but we sometimes forget that braid is a relatively recent development and we were successfully fishing, without struggling, long before braid came into vogue.
What lb mono did you use back then?

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Waste of time/money stuff

Post by mazman » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:18 am

Literally none of the things mentioned here are unnecessary and are all suited to a particular style of fishing or subset of fisherman.

F*ck the noise, do what you enjoy and fish with what you like. Whether that mean going out pushing yourself to try new techniques, locations and species or doing the same thing you've done for a long time or anywhere in between.

Some things aren't going to be for you but that doesn't mean they are wrong, unnecessary or a waste of money just something that you don't enjoy or haven't learnt to use yet
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Sneaky1 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:15 pm

A certain angling franchise which markups way above RRP.
Why should I pay for a consumable they price at $13, which always retails elsewhere for $11 and can be sourced from an interstate brick and mortar shop for $9?

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:59 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:23 am
colnick wrote:
Seniorfisho wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Seniorfisho wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:21 am
I don't agree with braid and shinny lures. Some people like to fish for other things rather than Whiting and without them you will struggle. I would like to add egi rods to the list though
I find with the longer rod and specific taper I can make the jigs dance nicely when needed. You will struggle on a shorter stiffer rod to do the same.
If I'm fishing for bait and need squid asap I dont bother with it, I still catch them ofcourse but it's nowhere as fun. And I'm predominantly using smaller sized jigs.

Ofcourse you don't need anything of the above sort if all your doing is setting rods in the holders and drifting your favourite grounds in the pitch of the dark using mono line, and then wonder why you need to change the barbs on the jigs to bigger ones cause the squid aren't hooking themselves properly..

Everyone has their way to fish, just because one is buying GPS marks and fishing there and having success, doesn't mean the other shouldn't use braided lines or shiney lures, or perhaps someone else shouldn't try for snapper using graphite rods.

I'd hate to think what these fisherman would do if they got thrown out of their comfort zone and had to fish with other equipment.

Im excited at the prospect of trying new things, maybe I'm crazy but I'm going fishing to satisfy myself, not someone else.

Cheers
I like to chase bass and EP's and without braid and fluro a person would struggle. I just don't rate catching squid. I don't have a problem with people targeting squid, it's just not that exciting for me. I have caught squid in every way possible, even with jigs just sitting on the bottom and besides getting squirted in the eyes, especially if you use a kayak, it's just a bit boring. When you catch Bass on 6lb gear thgat over 40cm, the rest is mediocre
That's an interesting observation. I rarely fish for bass now but over my years in northern NSW I caught hundreds of bass on lures, going back to quaint things like the old, but deadly, Flopy. I never used braid or fluoro. I'm not knocking braid but we sometimes forget that braid is a relatively recent development and we were successfully fishing, without struggling, long before braid came into vogue.
I was using 6lb for my freshwater excursions. I still use mono almost exclusively now because for the fish I am chasing - dusky flathead, yellowfin bream and sand whitng, I catch just as many on monofilament as I did when I was using braid. Same line (8 lb) for main and leader gives me enough stopping power for even the biggest duskies. It's surprising how many accidental bream I pick up on my Keitech soft plastics when chasing flathead.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:21 pm

colnick wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:59 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:23 am
colnick wrote:
Seniorfisho wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

Cheers
I was using 6lb for my freshwater excursions. I still use mono almost exclusively now because for the fish I am chasing - dusky flathead, yellowfin bream and sand whitng, I catch just as many on monofilament as I did when I was using braid. Same line (8 lb) for main and leader gives me enough stopping power for even the biggest duskies. It's surprising how many accidental bream I pick up on my Keitech soft plastics when chasing flathead.
Yep caught both bass and ep on mono
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:33 pm

Just be clever when purchasing, load up on your shiny lures ,squid jig , braid ect when they go on clearance.....
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:44 pm

mazman wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:18 am
Literally none of the things mentioned here are unnecessary and are all suited to a particular style of fishing or subset of fisherman.

F*ck the noise, do what you enjoy and fish with what you like. Whether that mean going out pushing yourself to try new techniques, locations and species or doing the same thing you've done for a long time or anywhere in between.

Some things aren't going to be for you but that doesn't mean they are wrong, unnecessary or a waste of money just something that you don't enjoy or haven't learnt to use yet
100%

The real waste of time is caring how other people fish.

Straight through mono absolutely sucks though. Of course it still catches fish. Do I want to catch fish that way? No. If mono had more sensitivity id hate it less.

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:01 am

If you are a landbased fisherman, taking advice from boat fishos is the biggest waste of time IMO.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:18 am

denis barden wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:05 am
Anchor Sock
Braid
Bearing Buddies
The above are worth every cent.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:44 am

I paid 69$ for a swimbait a week ago and put a nice cod on the deck this weekend on it.
I could have caught the same cod with a cube of cheese and used the rest of the cheese for breakfast.

If it doesn't appeal to your style of fishing, it might be a waste of money to you.
But there are others out there who enjoy it and hence there is a market for it.

Its like buying a condoms vs pulling out.
Some people like to spend money and potentially have more guaranteed results.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”