Eden and surrounds..

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
tr3los

Eden and surrounds..

Post by tr3los » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:23 am

hi guys, i've tried not to post a new topic, but iv looked and looked and really cant find what im looking for.. long story short, I'm planning a trip to Eden in the start of March,(all landbased), and was looking to fish off the rocks e.g pulpit rock/greencape etc, was wondering what type of rod/reel setups i'll need up there? e.g would i be fine on surf rods/penn spinfisher reel type combos? Also, was thinking of fishing baits like fresh fish fillets/livebait/ballooning out?? I've always wanted to catch a kingfish and I've heard it can be done in Eden off the rocks, should i target them with baits or would lures be a better idea? what type of lures (be specific cos I dont really do much lure fishing other than squid if that counts lol)? Any help or advice would be really appreciated, because its probably quite obvious I don't know what to expect.. Thanks in advance guys!!

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Eden and surrounds..

Post by CarlG » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:32 am

In the same boat here. My mate Jase and I are keen on heading up late march. Bought a heavier spin setup, which I`ll take along with my normal one. Will take my 15kg abu suveran along with a 7000 overhead in case we get to float livies out..

spikestar

Post by spikestar » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:35 am

The most common place is the Pulpit rock although there there is one more place which I can't remember the name as you need a four wheel drive to get there. Another place you can try is haycock point from the rocks. Also keep in mind the road to pulpit rock is quiet rough and on the day I was not able to drive there in my sedan.

As far as the gear i concerned to catch kingfish or tuna you would need to send the balloon out 100m to 200m. So you need a reel which can hold alot of line! I would say around 500m.

For the rod i would recommend something around 2m with a solid tip.

As for bait you can catch yellowtail yakkas from eden wharf, navy wharf or the pulput rock.

Also from the navy wharf and pulpit rock you can catch slimy mackerel.

To catch the kingfish and tuna you would need to use live bait as you need to send your line such a far distance.

All the best guys! I was in Eden last month so this were my observations.

Also here is a video of people fishing from the Pulpit Rock. Hope it gives you a better image of the environment and helps you with your preparation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMtL1MSy ... 1E8SY64RSw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fishing Victoria Species Comp: 41 cm

Squid: 41 cm

tr3los

Post by tr3los » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 am

sweet as thanks boys!! but any info on lures??

Busted

Post by Busted » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Spikestar, that video is just the worst i have ever seen. All that hoo haa for a squid and a Bonito. Hooning around obviously having no regards for the wildlife up there. I suggest before you blokes plaster reports all over the internet about a certain spot, consider the locals for a minute please.
Greencape hasn't been fishing well for years, hope you have plenty of patience :thumbsup:
http://www.bustedfishing.com/fishing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Busted wrote:Spikestar, that video is just the worst i have ever seen. All that hoo haa for a squid and a Bonito. Hooning around obviously having no regards for the wildlife up there. I suggest before you blokes plaster reports all over the internet about a certain spot, consider the locals for a minute please.
Greencape hasn't been fishing well for years, hope you have plenty of patience :thumbsup:
Go on Frank, spoil all our little dreams....lol...

bradp
Has liked: 42 times

Post by bradp » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Harsh but true Busted!

I did a week straight for two salmon. It can be pretty depressing lol

Noxcus

Post by Noxcus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:36 pm

So many great spots up that area i regularly go there greencape rocks are a great place to land big fish but with balloons. If you have little luck tou can head down to gypsy point in mallacoota an your guarenteed nice bream using prawns and big schools of salmon and benboyd national park also. Benboyd is also good at night for nice gummies, honestly can write a book on that place let us know how you go

Return to “Game Fishing”