The art of Lure Trolling

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

The art of Lure Trolling

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:03 pm

http://www.pakula.com.au/index.php/2014 ... e-trolling

I am not going cut and paste, although I might edit it and make a shorter version, Well worth reading.

ratbag

Re: The art or Lure Trolling

Post by ratbag » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:57 pm

Great article - txs :thumbsup:
quid est quod eum

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: The art or Lure Trolling

Post by barra mick » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:34 pm

Lure trolling is a skill that takes years to master.
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: The art of Lure Trolling

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:10 pm

Nice read. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

DR.SPESH

Post by DR.SPESH » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:44 am

The only "Art" to trolling is to calculate how many beers you can consume per hour to stay under •05. Lol.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:49 am

The only trolling I've really done has been from my laptop but I gotta say that was a very interesting article

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:30 am

Yeah, a bit over the top for me. My usual method is clip on a lure and chuck it out about 8-10m behind the yak, then pedal/sail away.

If I get a hit, then cool, otherwise I just sit back and enjoy the scenery. A fish is just a bonus!

Mike.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:58 am

mingle wrote:Yeah, a bit over the top for me. My usual method is clip on a lure and chuck it out about 8-10m behind the yak, then pedal/sail away.

If I get a hit, then cool, otherwise I just sit back and enjoy the scenery. A fish is just a bonus!

Mike.
If find I get a lot more hits when the lures are further back. I'll let out close to 30-40m of line when trolling. Makes it hard to turn corners though.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:16 am

DR.SPESH wrote:The only "Art" to trolling is to calculate how many beers you can consume per hour to stay under •05. Lol.
Lol :rofl:

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:53 am

THE MOVING F.A.D.

When using skirted lures, the biggest difference is the speed. In blue water skirted lures are pulled along at effective speeds from a minimum of 6.5 knots, mostly 7.5 to 8.5 and as fast as 15 knots with the accompanying noise, vibration and white water. These components actually combine to form an effective ‘Fish Attracting Device’ otherwise know as a F.A.D.

Many anglers, because of their previous experience with other forms of trolling, run their lures way back out past the end of the wash, fearing that the boat noise and wash will scare the fish. In this form of fishing this is not the case. The action is concentrated in the area between the transom and the end of the prop wash and turbulence. This is known as the Strike Zone. This area is where you should run your lures.

Fish do get hooked on lures a long way back, but they were probably on their way to the boat. The chance of getting a solid hookup on a fish are far better on a short line, due to less line stretch and belly and the closer the fish come to the boat the more aggressive they become.

It is possible that the wash itself may appear to be a shoal of tiny bait fish foaming the surface in a feeding frenzy, or perhaps they have come to know that the motor noise and vibration could mean a trawler dumping trash over the side resulting in an easy meal, perhaps it does attract small predators like striped tuna and frigate mackerel that search the white water for a feed or camouflage, this may in turn attract larger predators. Regardless of what we imagine the wash represents to fish, the boat does not in any way scare these predators. The larger, bolder predators have even less fear and will come in so close to the transom they almost ram it in attack mode.

Return to “Game Fishing”