Gear for Portland SBT?

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
Sickrat

Gear for Portland SBT?

Post by Sickrat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:08 pm

Hi All,

There might be a chance that I'll be moving towards Portland Vic in the next fews months, so I'm trying to work out what gear I'll need to get for the Tuna season there.

Have a 6.1m Streaker Commander that we bought 12 months ago for Westernport Bay, with a view to going offshore.

I have a few rods already in my arsenal, but they are mostly Westernport Gummy and snapper rods, with my current favourite being the Shimano Terez 50-80lb with a Saragosa 10000SW (which I reckon I can get schoolie Tuna on).

I'm pretty happy chasing school Tuna as I generally fish alone (during the week), but worried that I'll hook a big barrel Tuna that I won't be able to control and will destroy my lighter gear.

I also have bought two used TLD25's on 24kg Backbone elites, but now I'm worried that the TLD25s would be too small if I hook a barrel? I'm aiming at essentially 4 rod/reel combos for Tuna, and any other additional gear that I'll need (that a typical WPB Snapper/Gummy fisherman won't have), so looking for "best value" combos that'll do the job well but won't break the bank.

I'm wondering if the TLD50's with a 24kg Backbone elite is a good buy at $500 a setup (so $2,500 + line)? Or do I need to go to Tyrnos or Tiagra 50s (but twice the money)? Should I go fully rollered or only roller tip?

What other gear do you think I'll need to budget for (outriggers, leaning post etc) to have a reasonable time?

Many thanks for the help!

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Gear for Portland SBT?

Post by canned_tuna » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:24 pm

Gday sickrat,
If you do move down this way you will definitely be heading in the right direction in my opinion, but I am biased as I live in Portland.
The gear you have is ideal for schoolies and you should be able to knock over tuna up to around 30 to 35kg with that type of gear. Dont worry about the barrels because they are fairly elusive and the guys with all the gear fish season after season without seeing one. And if you are to hook one on the gear you have, fishing one out it will be all over in a couple of minutes and you will be able to enjoy the fact that you hooked up to one. Depending on the angle of your rod holders will determine whether you need outriggers or not as all they allow you to do is turn sharper if you happen to see birds working or fish busting and you want to head in that direction without tangling the line. Leaning post...waste of money imo and takes up valuable space. Skirts around 6 inches should see you connected to most schoolies but I fish anywhere from white occies up to 8 inch skirts depending on what they are feeding on. I also have a stickbait rigged on a threadline outfit ready to cast at busting fish. Hope this helps getting you started
canned_tuna

Sickrat

Post by Sickrat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:35 pm

canned_tuna wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:24 pm
Gday sickrat,
If you do move down this way you will definitely be heading in the right direction in my opinion, but I am biased as I live in Portland.
The gear you have is ideal for schoolies and you should be able to knock over tuna up to around 30 to 35kg with that type of gear. Dont worry about the barrels because they are fairly elusive and the guys with all the gear fish season after season without seeing one. And if you are to hook one on the gear you have, fishing one out it will be all over in a couple of minutes and you will be able to enjoy the fact that you hooked up to one. Depending on the angle of your rod holders will determine whether you need outriggers or not as all they allow you to do is turn sharper if you happen to see birds working or fish busting and you want to head in that direction without tangling the line. Leaning post...waste of money imo and takes up valuable space. Skirts around 6 inches should see you connected to most schoolies but I fish anywhere from white occies up to 8 inch skirts depending on what they are feeding on. I also have a stickbait rigged on a threadline outfit ready to cast at busting fish. Hope this helps getting you started
canned_tuna
Gday canned_tuna,

Thanks for this awesome response - glad to hear that I have the correct gear!

I think my gunwale rod holders are vertical so am I best to get something like this (instead of full-blown outriggers)?
https://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Sta ... sbEALw_wcB

Any other gear that you'd recommend (aside from a collection of skirts and lures)?

canned_tuna

Post by canned_tuna » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:50 pm

Yeah if you have 90 degree holders those are great as outriggers. I use lanyards attached to my reels to ensure they arent pulled overboard on a strike. Also buy 2 decent fixed gaffs as a 30 kg tuna will bend a cheaper gaff fairly easily. A large net is also handy if you like to release a few fish after taking your bag.

Sickrat

Post by Sickrat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:08 pm

Yeah perfect - great idea on the lanyards!!
I have one Gaff-Mann Gaff - 13/110 (150cm long) Gaff - is that overkill (and should I get a second similar one)? Also why the need for two gaffs? Is it in case you donate one to the tuna gods?

canned_tuna

Post by canned_tuna » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:34 am

I suppose you fishing one out you will only need one! I sometimes fish four people so it is always handy to have a couple just in case. I too use the gaffman gaffs. I have the 1 metre length and the 2 metre length.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:53 pm

I’d base the decision on how often you are planning to go out for them. If you will be chasing tuna regularly In the deep spend the money and get tiagras. Otherwise just run a spread of tld50’s. Get yourself a black magic equaliser.

If you only want schoolies. Your gear will suffice. You could be lucky and boat a barrel with light gear if you’re fishing in 50-80m for them as they can’t dive deep. Good boating will keep you on top of them. But it will be a long ass fight.

Return to “Game Fishing”