Flathead spearing

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Re: Flathead spearing

Post by Irishfisherman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:10 pm

junior wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:50 pm
Nice haul and sounds like fun.
How bright is the head lamp?
Reckon the east side of the bay is with a crack? (Brighton down to chelsea for example)
It’s a very cheap head lamp, hard to describe how bright. Got it off amazon for about $20. Don’t know about Chelsea, but I’m sure it would be worth a try, Brighton would probably be even better as the sand there is very fine and soft whereas in Chelsea it has a thicker grain. I’ve found more success where there is fine sand. I’ve only ever really speared in my area, which is Carrum-Seaford, so unfortunately I can’t give you too much info. Still hopes this helps though mate, hopefully you can get a few.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:46 pm

Irishfisherman wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:41 pm
Thanks guys, it’s probably one of my favourite ways to get a feed. Went out again the other night and did alright, managed a good sized flounder.
That’s a nice flounder mate 😃
How do you usually like to cook your flounders?
Cheers 👍🏻

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:50 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:46 pm
Irishfisherman wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:41 pm
Thanks guys, it’s probably one of my favourite ways to get a feed. Went out again the other night and did alright, managed a good sized flounder.
That’s a nice flounder mate 😃
How do you usually like to cook your flounders?
Cheers 👍🏻
Thanks mate, with this one I cut the fillets off and used panko breadcrumbs before frying. Sometimes I’ll roast them whole in foil with a bit of garlic and butter, occasionally I also just simply roll in flour and fry. They are a really tasty fish, better than flathead in my opinion.

junior
Has liked: 58 times

Post by junior » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:28 pm

Gave it a shot a couple of times but the headlamps I have were way too weak and the wind was up a bit making it very hard to see anything. Had a large stingray come up to me at one point and almost stood on another so I'm now looking for better lighting options before getting out there again.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:19 pm

Interesting. Ive never done this sort of spearfishing.

I wonder if the Werribee/Altona area would be worth investigating.

What is the equipment that you use? Obviously you mentioned the spear and head lamp, do you carry anything else? How do you stay warm?
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

junior

Post by junior » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:58 pm

I'm on the other side of the bay so can't give you a spot over your side but I waded in the shallows during the day and saw a couple of small flounder so maybe give that a shot. I've checked out a couple of threads here that talk about finding flounder along a good length of the bay (mordi -> seaford) and I've seen them now in Sandy & Beau so I assume they're pretty much everywhere you'd find flathead.

I've been out in waders and a hoodie or tshirt depending on the air temp and I've been fine. Not sure if flounder spearing is just a summer thing because of the water temp being bearable or due to migration, spawning etc.

Also carrying a small backpack with a knife, a towel, spare batteries and a bag for the fish (one day...)

Not sure if I should now pick up a dedicated flounder light or pick up a headlamp in the led lensor/nitecore/fenix range. Don't particularly want to be hauling car or motorcycle batteries if I can avoid it

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:11 pm

junior wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:58 pm
I'm on the other side of the bay so can't give you a spot over your side but I waded in the shallows during the day and saw a couple of small flounder so maybe give that a shot. I've checked out a couple of threads here that talk about finding flounder along a good length of the bay (mordi -> seaford) and I've seen them now in Sandy & Beau so I assume they're pretty much everywhere you'd find flathead.

I've been out in waders and a hoodie or tshirt depending on the air temp and I've been fine. Not sure if flounder spearing is just a summer thing because of the water temp being bearable or due to migration, spawning etc.

Also carrying a small backpack with a knife, a towel, spare batteries and a bag for the fish (one day...)

Not sure if I should now pick up a dedicated flounder light or pick up a headlamp in the led lensor/nitecore/fenix range. Don't particularly want to be hauling car or motorcycle batteries if I can avoid it
Sorry for the late response mate, the flounder appear to be available all year round. I was getting them in Winter as well, I’d recommend an underwater AA battery powered torch. They are not super bright but they do enable you to spear a wider range of conditions, when using a head torch if a slight breeze gets up it becomes pointless trying.
Cheers.

junior

Post by junior » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:00 pm

Thanks mate, picked up an underwater light & will get out there asap

Return to “Flathead fishing”