Flatties off the yak - this weekend

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
CrazyChenski

Re: Flatties off the yak - this weekend

Post by CrazyChenski » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Nah. Don't have to launch off apex area. You can always launch from Millers road and paddle to there. At least you can try abit of pinky/snapper around the inner shore before head to apex for flatty

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Sirblessed wrote:If you put in at Werribee south head right towards kirk point all along that area in the shallows about 400m off shore I have been picking up some duskys drifting on calm days. If ya do no good anywhere else its worth a try.ps using white bait.
Haven't seen a dusky caught @ north PPB before....any photos?

intercooledpc2
Has liked: 2 times

Post by intercooledpc2 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:48 am

kaotay wrote:
Sirblessed wrote:If you put in at Werribee south head right towards kirk point all along that area in the shallows about 400m off shore I have been picking up some duskys drifting on calm days. If ya do no good anywhere else its worth a try.ps using white bait.
Haven't seen a dusky caught @ north PPB before....any photos?
Same here, normally we just get the common blue spotted flatties. Interesting.

intercooledpc2

Post by intercooledpc2 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:50 am

SteveoTheTiger wrote:What is considered the minimum water temp to get Flathead biting?
Good question - I'm not too sure, but from what I read, it's agreed that they are certainly more active in the warmer months.

intercooledpc2

Post by intercooledpc2 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:55 am

Fishsniper wrote:Broken ground, both sandy and reefy, you will notice that there is a bit of a drop off a couple hundred metrs out, well try and drift along the drop off and you will pick up a few flatty, if no good there then just go out another a bit further till you see the the broken ground, a fish finder will help you find the line of the drop off.
Good luck bud and let us know how you go
Unfortunalty, the southerly chop yesterday didn't allow us to dip the yaks in, mind you we woke up at 4.30, packed all the gear, mounted the yaks and went to Campbells Cove. It looked so much calmer from home! Ah well, it didn't stop us from having a land based flick down at the Warmies. Not much luck, other than 1 feisty little bream that too a liking to my mates plastic.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:19 pm

That sucks.. im hitting Sandringham tomorrow. Should be a good day for it.

Low tide is mid morning, so I will be fishing the incoming tide but will probably have to leave before it hits high tide in the late afternoon. At this point I plan on trolling for flathead or heading out a bit further and trolling for salmon, as well as some drifting with baits.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

intercooledpc2

Post by intercooledpc2 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:10 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:That sucks.. im hitting Sandringham tomorrow. Should be a good day for it.

Low tide is mid morning, so I will be fishing the incoming tide but will probably have to leave before it hits high tide in the late afternoon. At this point I plan on trolling for flathead or heading out a bit further and trolling for salmon, as well as some drifting with baits.
Yeah, did suck a bit, but as long as I have a line in the water I'm happy. I've never really trolled for flatties - what sort of lures do you use?

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:29 pm

intercooledpc2 wrote: I've never really trolled for flatties - what sort of lures do you use?
some thing that dives deep enough to hit the sand now and then and puff it up - I've done better having the lure hit the bottom it does get there attention
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Yeah as Cheater says, something that hits the sand to get their attention.

First off the bat ill be trying a Rapala Magnum deep diving minnow that I picked up the other week. Its one of the ones with the red head and white body. And ive also got a few new poppers that id like to try but I remember someone mentioning to be careful of seagulls etc taking my popper and a paddle along lol.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:10 pm

I;ve alway done well with Rapala Tail Dancers -- colour doesn't matter much ether Flatties aren't that not fussy
any thing swiming close enough will be attacted
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Flathead fishing”