Seaford flathead.

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Seaford flathead.

Post by Irishfisherman » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:11 am

Had a massive fishing session last night and this morning. Got up at 1:30am to go wading for flounder with a mate, pretty slow going only managed one bluespot flathead and a couple of gars, we did see a large flathead but it never gave me an opportunity to spear it. Finished up wading at about 4:30am, and my mate headed back to bed. I checked the forecast and thought I may as well go for a fish on the kayak. So I got all the gear ready and the kayak setup and was down the beach at 5:30am, managed one flatthead to start with but things were pretty slow. Eventually I ended up catching an arrow squid on a soft plastic which really surprised me, before I drifted into an area where both rods went off at once. I stayed in that area for a while and ended up with 8 flathead in total. My static squid jig rod also went off in the end, which was a great way to finish off the session. Glad to finally get some fish in the freezer again and can’t wait until next time.
Attachments
04F31F1B-3325-42CD-88E4-6C9C36486643.jpeg
Last edited by Irishfisherman on Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Seaford flathead.

Post by Nude up » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:28 am

Those arrow squid are super aggressive you have to be careful how you hold them I have been bitten by one when holding it behind it’s head like I do the southern calamari. Nice bag in the end.

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:43 am

Nude up wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:28 am
Those arrow squid are super aggressive you have to be careful how you hold them I have been bitten by one when holding it behind it’s head like I do the southern calamari. Nice bag in the end.
Absolutely, they fight super hard compared to calamari and once you get them in the boat they go crazy. I reckon they’re pretty good eating too, the tentacles are a bit chewy but the tube is like calamari.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:54 pm

That’s a top session mate!
Well done. Nice feed of fresh flattie tails there 😊
Cheers 👍🏻

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:15 pm

Good stuff. Gotta utilize the good weather on a yak.
I always hear arrow squid are much more aggressive byt I've never caught any.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:14 pm

Irishfisherman wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:11 am
Had a massive fishing session last night and this morning. Got up at 1:30am to go wading for flounder with a mate, pretty slow going only managed one bluespot flathead and a couple of gars, we did see a large flathead but it never gave me an opportunity to spear it. Finished up wading at about 4:30am, and my mate headed back to bed. I checked the forecast and thought I may as well go for a fish on the kayak. So I got all the gear ready and the kayak setup and was down the beach at 5:30am, managed one flatthead to start with but things were pretty slow. Eventually I ended up catching an arrow squid on a soft plastic which really surprised me, before I drifted into an area where both rods went off at once. I stayed in that area for a while and ended up with 8 flathead in total. My static squid jig rod also went off in the end, which was a great way to finish off the session. Glad to finally get some fish in the freezer again and can’t wait until next time.
Do you think the Seaford pier is worth a try. My daughter lives at Seaford ???
Gra

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:12 pm

Texas wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:14 pm
Irishfisherman wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:11 am
Do you think the Seaford pier is worth a try. My daughter lives at Seaford ???
Gra
I have had good success at Seaford pier in the past, but its very inconsistent. Sometimes there will be gars, squid, flathead, salmon, sand crabs and occasionally small pinkies, as well as banjo's, I even saw a large Morwong there once. But don't expect much, as some days it can be very quiet. Ultimately, I would say i'ts worth a go but don't go there anticipating success. Your best bet would be to get a burley trail going and then fish with silverfish under a float, you have a chance at gars, Tommy ruff, or even salmon. Hope this helps.

Return to “Flathead fishing”