Merricks & Balnarring for flatties

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
rookie

Merricks & Balnarring for flatties

Post by rookie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:48 pm

Spent a pleasant but fruitless day wandering up and down Merrricks & Balnarring beaches last Saturday. Found a nice spot at Merricks - sandy with weed beds surrounding so i put in two rods with bluebait & squid on a running sinker so they'd stay on the bottom and settled in.
DAMN SEALICE ATE ALL MY BAIT!! Well, a fair bit of it before I gave up and switched to soft plastics (first time using for flathead)..
I started fishing just after high tide with bait for a couple of hours then through to low tide with plastics, all the way up to the end of the foreshore reserve @ Balnarring.
ZILCH ZIPPO NOTHING!! Bangg Bangg

My question is, did I fish at the wrong time? Do flatties prefer an incoming tide? Or is further down at Shoreham a better spot? On Google Earth it looks a little less rocky (damn rockfish took 2 of my rigs too)..
Any help would be much appreciated! I was lucky enough to get out on a fishing charter out of Inverlock on the 27th and bagged a heap of flathead - no monsters but an awesome feed! Now I want more!! :D

Beno

Re: Merricks & Balnarring for flatties

Post by Beno » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:52 pm

Shoreham is great for BIG rock flathead.... If lure fishing though I think somers maybe a better spot less weed.
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:29 pm

Lice demolished your bait in daylight ?

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:08 pm

Brett wrote:Lice demolished your bait in daylight ?
Did sort of wonder about that... I`ve only ever encountered them when fishing from dusk onwards..daylight bait demolition is more the territory of the toadie..

rookie

Post by rookie » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:17 am

Maybe it was toadfish? I've never come across them before, never even seen one would you believe - I'm usually in freshwater in Central Vic.!! Not many toadfish Up there lol!! :oops:
I was watching my line pretty closely though and not using heavy rods and it didn't look like a fish on the chew.. I 'm really not sure now! Yeah it was daytime, I started fishing about 2 or 3pm.
Anyway, I'll try Shoreham I think (thanks Beno) and learn some lessons from Balnarring!
Oh, and Happy New Year all!!

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:31 am

Merricks has been caked in sealice round that time fyi.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:34 pm

I have never come accross lice at Merricks until around 9pm, sometimes even later like 11pm. Maybe I'm just lucky :roll:

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:49 pm

i have had problems with the sea lice many times even during the day. usually only at night but from time to time they are out in the day light.

rookie

Post by rookie » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:41 pm

What do you all think about the timing? Outgoing or incoming tide, or aren't they fussy!

Also, I love baitfishing; pillies & squid sitting on/near the bottom the way to go? 4/0 or 3/0 hooks? That's what I was using anyway, made sense to me although on the charter the BIG sinker was on a running setup above the hooks - different fishing I suppose..

Thanks all!

Return to “Flathead fishing”