Great Photo...

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 387 times

Re: Great Photo...

Post by fishingvic » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:20 pm

how does the camera get so close without disturbing the fish?
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

rixter

Post by rixter » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:22 pm

fishingvic wrote:how does the camera get so close without disturbing the fish?
LOL , it's probably someones pet in their home saltwater fishtank . :mrgreen:

Although you can get small remote cameras that mount off the bottom back of your boat , they are small , looks no different to other small bits of rubbish drifting under the water to a fish realy.

CHeers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Linc

Post by Linc » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Wow no wonder I can never see them when spearfishing. A few of us were snorkelling for scallops a while ago, not too far from the boat where the bloke on board kept landing flatties but none of us saw even 1.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:29 pm

rixter wrote:

Although you can get small remote cameras that mount off the bottom back of your boat , they are small , looks no different to other small bits of rubbish drifting under the water to a fish realy.

CHeers , Rick.
I am so close to buying a big tank and using it to house flatties, whiting, bream and trevally would be hard to keep though! :icon_lolz:
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

rixter

Post by rixter » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Master-pro wrote:
rixter wrote:

CHeers , Rick.
I am so close to buying a big tank and using it to house flatties, whiting, bream and trevally would be hard to keep though! :icon_lolz:
Little harder than a tropical tank to maintain, but not much. With some good live coral/important ! , the right spectrum lighting , airfilter, and keeping the saltwater levels and temperature right, + a good canister filter and a skimmer. With all that it pretty much looks after itself , like a tropical tank full of live plants is more eco and looks after itself more than a tank full of plastic plants, fish are happier/more colour , makes all the difference enviroment wise for the eco system of the tank and the fish. Less feeding, as they feed on the coral/plants too, the fish poo'd water feeds the coral/plants = A cleaner tank, healthy coral/plants and happier fish, and less skimming and cleaning of the filters.
Once set-up , DON'T toutch anything in the tank, let it set and grow.

Before buying the fish (or catching them live to take home for the tank- which is illegal - your choice ! ), Alot of people actualy setup a tank running and let it sit/settle for a month or so, to get things right , and let the coral take off growing before the fish attack it !.

I used to breed fish years back , tanks everywhere , after cleaning 30+ dirty canister filters a month though for a few years (they stink), it all get's enough after a while. The saltwater filters actualy never realy smelt much, and overall clean compared to a filter on a tropical tank. The saltwater stops alot of smell and kills alot of bacteria in the filter compared to a clean or brackish water tropical tank filter!. I Loved it but i took it way too far years ago (made some good $), but became work more than a relaxing hobby. Although i wouldn't mind just maybe 1 big tank again these days with a saltwater setup again.

Cheers , Rick
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Return to “Flathead fishing”