Flatties off the yak - this weekend

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
intercooledpc2
Has liked: 2 times

Flatties off the yak - this weekend

Post by intercooledpc2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:32 am

Hi folks!

It's been a while since I've caught a decent feed of flatties. I'm thinking to take the yak out for a paddle this weekend, weather permitting.

Anyone know some good spots to try, close to shore, between Altona and Point cook? I was thinking to hit Campbell's Cove up (in front of the beach houses) but not too familiar with the area. My other thought was to try between Altona pier and Apex park.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all :)

Fishsniper

Re: Flatties off the yak - this weekend

Post by Fishsniper » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:48 am

Sounds like you have the best spots already, Campbells cove is a good option for Snapper ATM as well as squid and you only have to go out about 3 or 4 hundred metrs, if you are able to paddle to the other side of the Point cook jetty you would be a good chance for whiting as well.

intercooledpc2

Post by intercooledpc2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:31 am

Ok thanks. I might give Campbell's a shot then. What's the bottom like 3 or 400 meters out from the beach houses, sandy or reef?

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:42 am

Broken ground, both sandy and reefy, you will notice that there is a bit of a drop off a couple hundred metrs out, well try and drift along the drop off and you will pick up a few flatty, if no good there then just go out another a bit further till you see the the broken ground, a fish finder will help you find the line of the drop off.
Good luck bud and let us know how you go

intercooledpc2

Post by intercooledpc2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:50 am

Oh excellent, thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for it as i don't have a sounder unfortunately. I think if i throw anything more on this little yak i have, it will be likely to sink! :)

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:00 pm

lol, no worries, but you wont have any problem seeing where it drops off a bit and if it's sunny you will see the broken ground, by the way if you are going to use plastics then you can't go past Gulp Turtleback worms in the pumpkinseed color, believe me I've tried heaps of plastics there and they just seem to like them most of all and they will get you snapper as well as plathead there, if you were home on monday I would join you in my yak but I'm going to the Carp Cull at Cherry lake on Sunday

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:10 pm

As an alternative to Campbells Cove, what are the chances of landing some Flatties from trolling the river bank in the Werribee River?
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:23 pm

I tend to keep away from the Werribee river because of the boat traffic but I got no doubt you would get Flathead from there trolling the edges given the right conditions.

intercooledpc2

Post by intercooledpc2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Fishsniper wrote:lol, no worries, but you wont have any problem seeing where it drops off a bit and if it's sunny you will see the broken ground, by the way if you are going to use plastics then you can't go past Gulp Turtleback worms in the pumpkinseed color, believe me I've tried heaps of plastics there and they just seem to like them most of all and they will get you snapper as well as plathead there, if you were home on monday I would join you in my yak but I'm going to the Carp Cull at Cherry lake on Sunday
Awesome, thanks for that info. You know I've never tried the Turtlebacks, although I hear good thinks about them. A similar 'go to' plastic I use often is the 6" Camo Sand worm. I have a lot of faith in this plastic, and to me it seems like if the fish are not biting on it, they won't eat anything. I'll have to give the Turtlebacks a shot though.

Oh, by the way. What's the Carp cull? Sounds like a good ol fashion angry mob village riot or something! :)

intercooledpc2

Post by intercooledpc2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:37 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:As an alternative to Campbells Cove, what are the chances of landing some Flatties from trolling the river bank in the Werribee River?
I've taken the yak to Werribee river a couple of times - thrown every plastic in my arsenal there and not a nibble... I was told by some experienced fishing folk that it's very difficult to tempt the local bream there on plastics.. And bait offers far more success in this system.. As much as I hate to admit it, I tend to believe it.

Not sure about the flatties here either.. I hear of people catching them from the beach mouth from time to time, but not sure how consistently.

Return to “Flathead fishing”