Saturday fishing report

PedroArvy

Saturday fishing report

Post by PedroArvy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:12 am

I went to one of my favourite lakes yesterday and fished the eastern shore with the wind smacking right into me and my mate MadDog. This was a deliberate attempt to see if casting lures into a chopped up water surface on a dull day would see the fish biting more aggressively. I also had a bait rod with glassies and power bait whilst lure casting. We fished from 2pm until dark. I caught an 800 gram rainbow at around 4:50pm and my mate had something on but lost it at about 3pm. Both were on glassies. Many lures were cast for nothing. I am certain some fish must have seen our lures as we put so much time into casting. A local fly fisherman caught nothing on woolly buggers in the same area. I used to do this, flog lakes for ours on fly but the fact is you need bait and lures on the go at the same time as you don't know what will be working. And the reach of a fly rod is less than half that of a lure.
trout.jpg
I need to find a technique to get my baits off the bottom as there was a lot of weed/slime in the area and who knows, the bait may not have had the best visibility to the fish in the area even if I did catch one. I can't use a float as it would be blown all over the place. Does anyone have a suggestion for rigs they use in these situations? The rig needs to be anchored but off the bottom.
near-dark.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Saturday fishing report

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 am

Nice report and pics.
Not a bad rainbow :thumbsup:

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:34 pm

Why couldn't you use a paternoster rig or a
Running sinker with a piece of "cork", to raise the bait
I haven't in fresh, but, can't see why not
Cheers Gra

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:43 pm

Nice report

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:07 pm

"I need to find a technique to get my baits off the bottom as there was a lot of weed/slime in the area and who knows, the bait may not have had the best visibility to the fish in the area even if I did catch one. I can't use a float as it would be blown all over the place. Does anyone have a suggestion for rigs they use in these situations? The rig needs to be anchored but off the bottom."

Google up ZIG RIG

Very popular with Pommy carp fisho's for fishing a bait at any depth above the bottom.
:water:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:25 pm

I have some floats called surface controllers they are pre weighted only have a tiny amount sticking above the water to be wind affected. I used to use them with mudeyes on windy days

PedroArvy

Post by PedroArvy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:20 pm

Nude up wrote:I have some floats called surface controllers they are pre weighted only have a tiny amount sticking above the water to be wind affected. I used to use them with mudeyes on windy days
Did you buy those in Melbourne or from the Internet? I wouldn't mind knowing the supplier.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:58 pm

PedroArvy wrote:
Nude up wrote:I have some floats called surface controllers they are pre weighted only have a tiny amount sticking above the water to be wind affected. I used to use them with mudeyes on windy days
Did you buy those in Melbourne or from the Internet? I wouldn't mind knowing the supplier.
I purchased them on a visit to the UK in the 90's they are made by drennan
s-l300.jpg
the only bit exposed is the swivel on the tip pre weighted cast a mile

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:27 pm

I always love a report with some pictures, great work mate.
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”