What's your mountain stream / lake trout rig?

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Sebb
Has liked: 2997 times

Re: What's your mountain stream / lake trout rig?

Post by Sebb » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:45 pm

Texas wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:09 pm
Have caught a trout floating a huntsman on the surface.
Gra
Huntsman? That I never heard of.
I know many people say that Huntsman is harmless to human, but not sure I dare to grab and put a hook on it. Lol.
russellh2 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:27 pm
When Grass hoppers and Crickets are plentiful , used to catch a couple of dozen and create a "false rise" - Using 6 - 7 foot light spinning rod and 4lb Mono ( Greased) Take a Grasshopper / Cricket and superglue a Size 16 or smaller to it's back with the barb pointing up. Hand cast 4 or 5 Grasshoppers / Crickets into slack backwater and hang on - Fish with bail arm open and Drag preset - Let fish run - Set hook when run stops - First strike will scare the ---- out of you - Crickets at night, no moon are deadly - Perfected technique on Goulburn River over 45 years ago - Still works.
Oh wow, now that's interesting. Would never thought of that.
Greased mono so it'll float? And trout 'rise bite' it?
Grasshopper and cricket, I'm guessing it's a summer thing. Might try this in summer.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:02 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:05 pm
Apart from the obvious leader straight to a hardbody (and fly fishing)

What's your trout rig tips and tricks?

Well, you can tell I am a bait Fisho , , , , when your "obvious" is actually a new revelation to me :oo:

Some great tips and info on here. Thanks guys, my horizons are being broadened as I read :-D

Cheers, Wooly Bug

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:11 pm

Texas wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:31 pm
If possible I use unweighted bait.
Not really a lure person
Cheers Gra

I find that works well, especially with Bait Fishing for Bream. A easy flick out and just take up the very slack line but leave the line still loose.

russellh2 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:27 pm
When Grass hoppers and Crickets are plentiful , used to catch a couple of dozen and create a "false rise" - Using 6 - 7 foot light spinning rod and 4lb Mono ( Greased) Take a Grasshopper / Cricket and superglue a Size 16 or smaller to it's back with the barb pointing up. Hand cast 4 or 5 Grasshoppers / Crickets into slack backwater and hang on - Fish with bail arm open and Drag preset - Let fish run - Set hook when run stops - First strike will scare the ---- out of you - Crickets at night, no moon are deadly - Perfected technique on Goulburn River over 45 years ago - Still works.

Great tip russell

I try and use live crawlers, crabs, clickers etc etc from the location I'm fishing. Seems to out do any brought bait from somewhere else.

Another little thing I have found that works, is any shell grit, coarse sand/sand that I collect from the "bait Location" thrown in as an "activator/burley" works well. nThe fish seem to get stirred up and bites come a little faster

Cheers, Bug (not the crawly kind, but I do bite :-D )

Sebb
Has liked: 2997 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:19 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:02 pm
Seb85 wrote:

Well, you can tell I am a bait Fisho , , , , when your "obvious" is actually a new revelation to me :oo:

Some great tips and info on here. Thanks guys, my horizons are being broadened as I read :-D

Cheers, Wooly Bug
:rf:

Is there a good famous kinda trout stream in SA Mr. Bug?
Never really thought of SA as fishing destination tbh, since the kingy in Augustine and snapper.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:11 am

Seb85 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:19 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:02 pm
Seb85 wrote:

Cheers, Wooly Bug
:rf:

Is there a good famous kinda trout stream in SA Mr. Bug?
Never really thought of SA as fishing destination tbh, since the kingy in Augustine and snapper.
I am curious too. I have 'bugged out' back to SA a few weeks ago and will probably try and stay depending how things go.

Used to chase trout around Mylor etc but never caught one!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:47 am

I tie my lure to the end of my leader, my leader onto my braid and i cast at the water.

Prefer smalled bladed spinners like Celta and Black furies, just as good as a little hardbody and 1/4 the price for streams, and bright pink tassie devils in a lake.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Fishing techniques”