Spearfishing and diving?

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Spearfishing and diving?

Post by Kimtown » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:28 pm

Anyone do it/tried it?

A few of my mates do it, I'm really interested in buying a hawaiin sling and giving it a go. Not the greatest state in Australia to do it but would be fun on the shallow sand flats for flathead imo. I think once overcoming the initial fear of sharks diving would be good too.. probably to hard to get crays without scuba gear though?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Spearfishing and diving?

Post by smile0784 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:31 pm

Depends on how long you can hold your breath for lol

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:45 pm

I’ve done heaps of it mate.
Have a search through the forum and I’m sure you will find some reports of mine from sometime ago now. Have gotten heaps of big flatties and flounders in the shallows along with many other species :)

aussie_fisho

Post by aussie_fisho » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:08 am

Kimtown wrote:Anyone do it/tried it?

A few of my mates do it, I'm really interested in buying a hawaiin sling and giving it a go. Not the greatest state in Australia to do it but would be fun on the shallow sand flats for flathead imo. I think once overcoming the initial fear of sharks diving would be good too.. probably to hard to get crays without scuba gear though?
Frequently freedive and spear throughout summer when the waters warmer, it’s great fun, even just seeing the marine life is pretty good if your into it. And I’ve been diving for years, even in some pretty stupid spots and still haven’t seen a man eater, once u see some fish u get distracted and focus on them anyway.

As for the crays, You can get them without scuba gear, just need to work on holding your breathe and your technique. Although pretty hard now because they get smashed all along the coast as most people have hooker systems now.
Cheers aussie

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:33 am

At Indented Heads there is a Abalone Farm that uses water from the Bay.There is a large Pipe that runs to a Smaller Yellow/Black Bouy about 300 meters-Very close to the Boat Ramp towards St Leonards- from shore.Ive seen people spear large flat head next to the Pipe
Good Luck

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:04 am

The more I'm learning about fishing, the less I've been getting in the water (particularly around WPB...didn't realise there where so many toothy creatures in there). Excellent diving from Cat Bay all the way around to Pyramid Rock if your on the hunt for abs or a cray. I think it's closed season over spring for crays, and heaps of regulations on abalone.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:39 am

Have a look at the Shark killing stats
Its 60 years ago that the last person was taken by a supposd Shark in Victoria
What about the 300 odd killed eack year on our roads in Vict

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:58 pm

I used to spearfish a bit a few years ago, it’s a great way to spend a day even if you don’t get any fish. I do miss it. Be sure to always be safe though, I highly recommend always diving with a buddy (not only will they keep an eye on you and make sure your ok but hunting in pairs can be very beneficial), use safety gear like a float and diver down flag, and be aware of your surroundings like where other people are, boat traffic, etc. It can be dangerous, mostly due to human error. I wouldn’t be too worried about sharks, your more likely to have a stingray come munch on your catch than anything. Like finding any fishing spot google earth is your best friend. I’m looking forward to reading reports of big flatties!

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Also some very good info on the southern freedivers forum
http://southernfreedivers.org.au/forums/

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:26 pm

Lightningx wrote:I’ve done heaps of it mate.
Have a search through the forum and I’m sure you will find some reports of mine from sometime ago now. Have gotten heaps of big flatties and flounders in the shallows along with many other species :)
Where do you go for flatties? Just PPB?
I reckon Albert would be awesome for them in the shallows. Maybe McLaughlins too

Return to “Fishing techniques”