Slide baiting technique.

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Slide baiting technique.

Post by DougieK » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:22 am

Someone (I think Dazz or Sebb) asked about slide baiting the warmies in another thread.

This is by no means a complete description of the technique but more a summary of what I'm doing and some ideas about that spot in particular. Merely a share of my opinion and experience and in no way do I consider myself an authority on the technique. I could probably talk for an hour about different ways this has gone wrong but I tried to keep it fairly concise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgJqWHKcqUA&ab_channel=Annaren
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Re: Slide baiting technique.

Post by Sebb » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:02 pm

Thanks for the video Dougie. First time I've seen that technique and explained well.
Casting just the sinker without the live bait will make a much better cast. Then pretty much tighten the line and put the live bait with the slide thing. Not throwing the live bait keeps it alive longer.

Do you often get the live bait stays on top water or mid, and not going down?
I know you explained that it wont be able to go back up because ethe mechanism. But without much weight, the live bait can just stay in the top/mid water column and not swimming doen deep.

E.g. I fish 10m water where I want the live bait to be in 8m. Set the sinker to the ring about 1-2m. So I want the bait to slide all the way down to the ring (1-2m off the bottom). But the life bait can be sitting anywhere from the surface to the ring.
How do you get the live bait down?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:07 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:02 pm
Thanks for the video Dougie. First time I've seen that technique and explained well.
Casting just the sinker without the live bait will make a much better cast. Then pretty much tighten the line and put the live bait with the slide thing. Not throwing the live bait keeps it alive longer.

Do you often get the live bait stays on top water or mid, and not going down?
I know you explained that it wont be able to go back up because ethe mechanism. But without much weight, the live bait can just stay in the top/mid water column and not swimming doen deep.

E.g. I fish 10m water where I want the live bait to be in 8m. Set the sinker to the ring about 1-2m. So I want the bait to slide all the way down to the ring (1-2m off the bottom). But the life bait can be sitting anywhere from the surface to the ring.
How do you get the live bait down?

Short answer, it doesn't happen that much. Almost universally a livey will be panicking and even if it doesn't swim down directly, will eventually slide it's way to the bottom. You can add weight if you need too but largely I don't think that's necessary most of the time, I've not had a livey that doesn't go down eventually. It might be different with mullet, i've never actually slid one.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Leonard
Has liked: 53 times

Post by Leonard » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:57 pm

Hi Dougie,

Thank you so much for making that video - I am the naive fellow that tried sliding at the warmies! I'll definitely have a better think about where to do it at the future - maybe at Altona where it's more sandy. I'll be sure to try the float rig you described. Thanks again for following through with this.

Cheers,
Leo

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:14 pm

Even though slide baiting or land based bait fishing isn't part of my future plans I enjoyed watching and learning a bit about that technique and can see it will benefit a lot of people.

Thanks for posting.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:06 am

Thanks for putting in the effort to prepare the vid. I now have a much better understanding of this technique.

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:46 am

I agree with Dougie on not needing to use sliding baits at the warmies. I'm no expert on jewie fishing but know that there is no need to cast way to far in the channel and a float would be sufficient because the current isn't strong.

Return to “Fishing techniques”