How far can you cast?

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: How far can you cast?

Post by CarlG » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:27 pm

It is actually a very interesting question, because most people who say "I can cast 100 metres" don`t have a bloody clue what 100 metres looks like. I work a lot with distance in the building game, and 100 metres is a hell of a site further than most people realise. Before anyone starts having a go, no, I`m not having a go at anyone on here, or anyone in particular. But over the years I`ve heard so much bull with regards to casting distance, it makes me laugh my arse off.
On a personal level, I reckon I cast somewhere around 80metres with my normal shore spin setup under normal conditions, that works pretty well for me, but I`m getting a new rod built, and hope with the changes I`ve specified, to gain another 15 metres or so..

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:38 pm

CremeDeLaCreme wrote:I think I can cast about 100 meters, but I don't actually know for sure!
I have always wondered if there is a way to actually physically measure how far you can cast?
Is there a place in Melbourne where 100 meters is actually measured out so you can see for sure with no guesstimates?
The only place I can think of is a running track, but I have no idea where to find one :dontknow
The other rough way to measure it is that your reel should have some technical specifications on how much line is retrieved per crank which will give you a guestimate on casting distance.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:55 pm

i was having a fish wit my mate at apollo bay and he does alot of hunting and he was watching me fish and he saw the distances i was casting at with just an average flick..
he said thats 100 mtrs easy or prob more.. so we decided to measure it and i casted along the beach and he did a count i was casting avg of 100-110mtrs lol i always thought i was casting at 60-80mtrs
( this is all on my surf setups)
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:56 pm

vinhii wrote:i was having a fish wit my mate at apollo bay and he does alot of hunting and he was watching me fish and he saw the distances i was casting at with just an average flick..
he said thats 100 mtrs easy or prob more.. so we decided to measure it and i casted along the beach and he did a count i was casting avg of 100-110mtrs lol i always thought i was casting at 60-80mtrs
( this is all on my surf setups)
Your just a massive unit...
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:05 pm

LOL! I EAT ALOT! DAMIT! KFC FO LIFE!!
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:32 pm

CarlG wrote:It is actually a very interesting question, because most people who say "I can cast 100 metres" don`t have a bloody clue what 100 metres looks like. I work a lot with distance in the building game, and 100 metres is a hell of a site further than most people realise. Before anyone starts having a go, no, I`m not having a go at anyone on here, or anyone in particular. But over the years I`ve heard so much bull with regards to casting distance, it makes me laugh my arse off.
On a personal level, I reckon I cast somewhere around 80metres with my normal shore spin setup under normal conditions, that works pretty well for me, but I`m getting a new rod built, and hope with the changes I`ve specified, to gain another 15 metres or so..
Go to the local footy oval, from the goals to the cricket pitch in the middle as rough guide is generally around 50 -60 metres, so if you cast hits the cricket pitch then that is around 50-60 metres, get past the cricket pitch then that is around 70 metres.

Even pacing out along the beach is only a rough guide, as most peoples stride is a fair bit less than a metre. So a hundred paces may only be really 60 metres.

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
CarlG wrote:It is actually a very interesting question, because most people who say "I can cast 100 metres" don`t have a bloody clue what 100 metres looks like. I work a lot with distance in the building game, and 100 metres is a hell of a site further than most people realise. Before anyone starts having a go, no, I`m not having a go at anyone on here, or anyone in particular. But over the years I`ve heard so much bull with regards to casting distance, it makes me laugh my arse off.
Go to the local footy oval, from the goals to the cricket pitch in the middle as rough guide is generally around 50 -60 metres, so if you cast hits the cricket pitch then that is around 50-60 metres, get past the cricket pitch then that is around 70 metres.

Even pacing out along the beach is only a rough guide, as most peoples stride is a fair bit less than a metre. So a hundred paces may only be really 60 metres.
Wolly, if I was really that anal about it, I`d go to the local oval and take my big site tape and get an accurate distance...but to be honest mate, it doesn`t keep awake at nights.

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:51 pm

coloured braid might help?

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:56 pm

Tonyzee wrote:coloured braid might help?
Do you mean the 10mtr alternating colour stuff Tony..?

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Gotta agree with you here Carl.
I also do a lot of shooting & it never ceases to amaze me how many people reckon they can hit game every time at 500 meters with rifles/calibres that are known to be good for 250-300 meters at best. Then I get those guys that state "I can hit a duck flying above that tree with no worries" but "that tree' turns out to be around 100 meters away to start with, so the duck they're shooting at would have to be around 120 meters, shot with a shotgun that has a range of around 60 meters max'. I don't argue anymore, just smile & accept the entertainment.

I'd certainly enocourage guys to go out & have a go at casting & measuring.
It can be a very enlightening exdperience.

Return to “Fishing techniques”