Whats your Soft Plastic Technique ?

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Dropbear86

Whats your Soft Plastic Technique ?

Post by Dropbear86 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:54 pm

What soft plastic technique do you use ? do you always use the same for all fish and does it always get some sort of a result ?
new to Sp's and have been trying many different ways but so far no success, wondering if its just luck or im doing something which isent working
are there any videos online of techniques ?
"He Is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown

Rod Bender

Re: Whats your Soft Plastic Technique ?

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi,
I use them occasionally to chase redfin. They seem to work OK and so far I have only been using the 'paddle tail' style plastics. I just generally retrieve them pretty quickly and it seems to work. I possibly could do a lot better with a bit more action but with the ones I use I find I have to retrieve pretty quickly to achieve good movement of the tail.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:08 am

I 99% of the time fish with live or fresh bait , i do use plastic Occy's for trolling for Salmon & Metal Lures .

DonVito

Post by DonVito » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Hey dropbear86,

Personally, I use the same tactic/technique a majority of the time, however, the jig head and the SP itself, do change according to the current, depth, target fish etc.. I'm no master in the field, but I know some SPs are jigged and some are retrieved with a combination of both in some cases. I think it's finding out what best works for you.

I went squidding a week ago and used a technique I always use - which I must admit, doesn't always produce results, HOWEVER, I looked at the guy next to me, which caught a 30-40 cm hooded squid. Immediately, I copied his technique and at one stage I had a 3 squid in 3 casts.

Where are you fishing by the way?

Dropbear86

Post by Dropbear86 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:41 pm

tried altona pier last week, haven't had a chance to go out in the bay on a boat yet, need decent weather on a day off, otherwise tried in fresh water also, dams apparently stocked with fish in melton

using a 6ft graphite rod with eggbeater reel, very light reel, 4lb braid and 8 lb leader of mono
"He Is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:27 pm

My style while land based:

Salmon - I dont let the SP hit the bottom. I let it sink a bit then quick retrieve to mimic a fleeing bait fish. The salmon will hook itself.

Bream, snapper, travally and flathead - I let it hit the bottom. Short rod flicks in between, retrieve slack then repeat. When the slack tightens after the rod flick, I strike to hook the fish.

Kingfish - crank as fast as I can. I was told king fish will not hit the lure if they see it as fake. Haven't landed one though. :angry:

Trout and redfin - varies depending on location. In Rowville Lakes, I use slow retrieve with pauses in between.

Fishing lines on a crowded pier on a low light - cast diagonally, face the other way around and crank as fast as I can. Cut my line before they can nail me as the culprit. :roflmao:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

ecofreak

Post by ecofreak » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:32 pm

All plastics are designed to have unique actions to the application so mixing it up should be key, the correct action for the correct lure is paramount for consistent results, for example I fish worms rigged in 5 different ways and the action imparted by the rod is different for each method of rigging, then there are various actions I impart to get different effects from them. Learning various actions in clear water so you understand how each different plastic works with different rod movement is a great tool to have. It should also be the same for every fishing situation, there are many different ways to rig squid and various ways to fish it as a bait, with hardbodies again various actions for various results, even fly fishermen have different ways to retrieve fly's for different effect. Fish to your surroundings and fish to the species in all fishing applications, no one method is the one and only.
Regards Paul Carter
Gan Craft Pro Staff
http://www.egikuma.blogspot.com

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:57 pm

clear water practice eh? Easier said than done even on a swimming pool. smh You wont see your lure unless you are under water too or someone is doing it in Melbourne Aquarium and you are watching outside the glass. Try youtube. I bet there are video posts in there.

Had a ball last night in the local pier. Berkley Gulp 4 inch minnow on 1/4 oz size 1/0 jig head....pinkies love them :super: . No flatty last night and I had to wade through undersize pinkies. I went home with a 40cm snapper caught on SP on my 5th cast. Not bad...will be back if the forecast wind will not happen . I missed a lot of hits so I will try using a smaller SP - 3 inch this time.

Funny the bait soakers wont believe I can land pinkies using SP. The audience were equally amazed how easy it was to pull fish after fish using SP. Cant wait for the late run of the bigger specimen....should happen anytime soon.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:21 pm

how about this for an SP action;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=VHl ... =endscreen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3vj7z9Jti0

must be deadly for salmon, king, snook, etc.

Too bad I cant find it locally. On top of that it seems that this thing comes over 4 inches only.
====
Words of wisdom:
====

ecofreak

Post by ecofreak » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Fish-cador wrote:how about this for an SP action;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=VHl ... =endscreen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3vj7z9Jti0

must be deadly for salmon, king, snook, etc.

Too bad I cant find it locally. On top of that it seems that this thing comes over 4 inches only.
Fish-Cador, the Sebille Magic swimmer plastics and hardbodies are available in many AU tackle stores, I know the Tackleworld Group and Compleat wankers stock them.

Or if you prefer http://motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=cat ... ry_id=1428 Mo Tackle have the full range
Regards Paul Carter
Gan Craft Pro Staff
http://www.egikuma.blogspot.com

Return to “Fishing techniques”