Cormorants and Moon Phases

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Cormorants and Moon Phases

Post by Charles7 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:11 pm

I'm wondering what other fishos think of cormorants and moon phases. I never seem to catch anything on or near the full moon, both in saltwater and fresh. Does anyone else have a similar experience or is my bad luck down to something else?

I'm also wondering how you guys react to cormorants working a body of water. If they are diving around and swimming about, do you move spots because they might be scaring the fish or do you stay because they are potentially a sign that fish are present? If they aren't working a body of water but are present (just perched on a branch or rock), I generally regard it as a good sign that the little urban lake or creek I'm fishing might indeed hold fish. If they are working hard, I regard them in a similar vein to seals in the bay and generally take it as a signal that I won't be having much luck.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Cormorants and Moon Phases

Post by 4liters » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:44 pm

The fish that cormorants are chasing are probably not the size fish you want to catch, I doubt very much that anything smaller than a pelican would take on a 30cm+ fish. I have no idea if larger fish get spooked by them though.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:27 am

Not sure on the snapper but gummys love a full moon. Especially a few days after it. Never had much luck on squid/whiting on the full moon

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:42 am

ducky wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:27 am
Not sure on the snapper but gummys love a full moon. Especially a few days after it. Never had much luck on squid/whiting on the full moon
Caught a couple big gummies early this year offshore on a full moon at night. 1x 10kg, 1x 15kg.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:38 am

Our tune trips are based around full moon phases.
And I know one spot in particular that we look for corporate as a guide to whether or not the salmon are about. If the cormorants are there, normally, so are the salmon.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:43 pm

Full moon fish bite better at night, not during the day. New moon the other way round. I’ve had this confirmed time and time again through bitter experience.

Charles7

Post by Charles7 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:49 pm

Bayrock wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:43 pm
Full moon fish bite better at night, not during the day. New moon the other way round. I’ve had this confirmed time and time again through bitter experience.
Very interesting mate. I might consider fishing at night on or near the full moon. Went fishing today actually and my mate caught a carp, the full moon being tomorrow night. I'm interested in testing out this new moon theory but dread the idea of getting donuts....

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:16 pm

Charles7 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:49 pm
Bayrock wrote:
Very interesting mate. I might consider fishing at night on or near the full moon. Went fishing today actually and my mate caught a carp, the full moon being tomorrow night. I'm interested in testing out this new moon theory but dread the idea of getting donuts....
A day or so either side of a 100% full moon will hardly make any difference in feeding patterns

Charles7

Post by Charles7 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:54 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:16 pm
Charles7 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:49 pm
Bayrock wrote:
A day or so either side of a 100% full moon will hardly make any difference in feeding patterns
Yeah, I'm either fishing the wrong spots or using the wrong baits/techniques. Good to confirm that it's just a coincidence though as every donut was coming around the full moon.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”