Destroying the Goulburn river

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

Destroying the Goulburn river

Post by trout-hunter » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:42 pm

Hey all, been a while since ive been on but i need to know if anyone else feels the same way i do about the Goulburn river in Thornton,
I haven't been up to the Goulburn at all this season because of the last opening season, these big trout being released brings thousands of people that may be good for the town but absolutely no good for the river, i was bloody disgusted to see the amount of fishing line, bait containers, lure packets and human **** that my dog rolled in.. its turning into a tip. People race there to get a so called trophy trout, they are big trout but i wouldn't say a trophy.. to me and other serious fishermen a trophy trout is one that you worked for, i was taught to be quite and stalk the banks, keep back and walk slow, read the river, no sudden movements most of all.. patients. I read books on bait drifting and other technique and still took me about 5 years of fishing the Goulburn before landing my first 3kg trophy.. yes my trout was probably a stocked trout but it was back 20 years ago, remember when we had to work and try hard to catch a fish. People will disagree with me about this but ive spoken to a few locals that think its just stupid putting that amount of people in the water at once, one local said there was actual fist fights at Gilmores bridge..people fishing shoulder to shoulder, casting over each others lines and spooking every wild trout for miles, that already says somethings wrong. Fishing is ment to be peaceful and relaxing.. i would never wade or cast when another fishermen is there. The Goulburn is also very dangerous to wade at times, people want a big trout rush out get waders and walk out into the river with bugger all experience. Wait untill one steps on a smooth slippery rock and goes under. The Goulburn was a place for people to take the next step and land there trophy. Its the best feeling of achievement, you worked hard for it. Not these days, but hey It brings more money. I know lots of serious fishermen that refused to go that way this year, it brings more people that leave rubbish (NOT EVERYONE LEAVES RUBBISH) but also looses heaps of the people that have always gone there and looked after the river and clean up there rubbish. I cleaned up so much line in a stretch of water that made me wonder how much is actually out there, even picked up someone's ocean line and sinker that was in a farmer's paddock, he must be so glad to see people spending big in town while his cattle get a mouth full of thick 40lb fishing line. Give it 10 years and the magnificent Goulburn river will be no more. Now i dont know the full reason on why they want thousands of people there, but surely it cant all be about money, if money is needed then just stock lake eildon or the pondage but just keep the Goulburn as it was. Once anything looses the challenge it becomes boring. Dont take the challenge out of fishing the Goulburn for the sake of a few bucks Surly others feel the same.

Thats all i wanted to cry about, other than the rubbish and dog coverd in human **** it was a good day, my dog is also well behaved and will not go in the water if someone is fishing.. bloody hate when people let dogs run in the water when your trying to fish.

Mustang38
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Destroying the Goulburn river

Post by Mustang38 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:44 am

Well said mate. The word that comes to mind is balance. For all the bad things you mentioned there would be lots of good things as well that some locals would be happy to have. Perhaps take pictures of what you see. I am sure other fishers in the area would feel the same. Certainly localsand property owners wouldn't be happy with these things you mentioned. Maybe local council could liase with fisheries and other parties involved and improve the scenario for the future. It seems such a good idea for people, kids etc to catch fish big or small. It should however notcome with these sort of negative impacts. It has happened and that is bad maybe they could be made aware of these impacts and improve or change things for future years. I fished the goulburn years ago and we use to fish a place called the windies ( I think) We never caught big trout but we had many great days wading on the pebble beds and casting our no2 celta's in green and gold.I hope it does change for the better, you are spot on mate. The Goulburn is such a great spot and part of so many people trout experiences in our fishing journeys. It would be devastating if the area was effected in a negative way and regulars such as yourself stop gong there. I hope someone of importance reads your post and the relative people who can make some changes for the good of all future fishers to the area change things to stop this continuing.

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:39 am

trout-hunter wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:42 pm
People race there to get a so called trophy trout, they are big trout but I wouldn't say a trophy.. to me and other serious fishermen a trophy trout is one that you worked for, I was taught to be quiet and stalk the banks, keep back and walk slow, read the river, no sudden movements most of all.. patience.
Can't ever be a trophy if its a pellet raised fish imo, it needs to have reached trophy size by being smart and wily. Outsmart one of those large back country river trout and you have yourself a trophy.

Seriously, how hard is it to clean up after yourself and take out your rubbish?!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:27 am

It’s pretty much the same at any popular fishing spot. I just assume that this sport attracts more than it’s fair share of nuffies with zero respect for other people or the environment
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Very much agree with trout-hunters view. Watched the trout opening episode on Fishing Edge and can safely say there’s no way I would bother going to fish to target brood stock let alone shoulder to shoulder with others.

As for rubbish dog crap etc these people aren’t real fisherman as real fisherman respect the environment and others.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:49 am

Sad but its true. The idea was there and positive but looks like some of the 'what happens after that' were missed. Wonder if they talked about it before proposing the idea.
Same with Hazlewood. They spent time and time and stocked Hazlewood with barramundi, local was happy thought it would boost the town's economy. And was only few months after that Hazlewood got shut down.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”