Salmon on Poppers

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Salmon on Poppers

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:01 pm

hornet wrote:Beware of strangers brandishing Van staals asking "Got couta" ! :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:43 pm

I'd have a flog over a Van Staal....it would take it & more

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:10 pm

LachyBell wrote:Trying Gunnamatta this Saturday as there is no wind at all, we are heading out at 4 in the morning with some poppers and pillies. Tide is in at about 6:30 what should I try?

Bit early to make a decision on wind report I reckon bud, keep an eye on it

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Maybe flick slugs for salmon

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Lightningx wrote:
hornet wrote:Beware of strangers brandishing Van staals asking "Got couta" ! :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:
The van staal is off for a long overdue service, so it's only a stradic for now.
In answer to the original question, there are lots of things swimming in the waters off gunnamatta.
Gummies, seven gills, eagle rays, skate, couta, trevally, some good sweep I you set up near the rock formations and burley hard. Tons of mullet, the list goes on.
Salmon are quiet there atm, but that can change on a tide.

brybry

Post by brybry » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:30 pm

Managed to pick up three kiloish salmon in a couple of hours last Thursday as did the bloke next to me. Dropped another one. All caught on bait/surf poppers. I think a patch of them came through as the fish were all caught in a twenty minute period. The rest of the time was quiet. Didn’t get a touch on lures but didn’t really fish hard with them.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:57 am

Try and find the gutters and rips where the waves aren't breaking. There's heaps of videos and websites on how to 'read' a beach that explain it far better than I ever could so check those out. Long story short, gutters and rips are structure, and structure is where the fish hang out. Waves don't break over them because they're deeper.

Most people use a two hook paternoster with pilchard on one hook and a little foam surf popper on the other, which is handy because pillies can be soft and fly off while casting so the popper at least has some chance of getting a fish if you lose your bait and don't notice.

I use 4oz breakaway sinkers, you might find star sinkers easier to find in shops. Both work well.

From the second carpark I'd walk down to the beach and then walk to the left along the beach a fair way because the spot just below the path down to the beach gets packed with surfers and swimmers who don't appreciate having sinkers thrown at them. Surfers fight hard on light gear but keep fighting on dry land too, which is not my thing. Best to avoid.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”