Great spin session with 22 trout Caught...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Great spin session with 22 trout Caught...

Post by meppstas » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:18 pm

Headed off around 8:00 am for a spin session in the river this morning only to find the river was running a little on the high side and it wasn't safe enough for me to cross over. That's what I get for not checking the river levels before I left home. I decided i would head on up to the upper reaches of it where I knew it was safe enough to hop in and wade. I headed to one of my favorite areas only to find someone else already in the river fishing which meant I had to fish elsewhere. I decided on fishing another long wide stretch of river that didn't fish all that well the last time I fished it. The river there was running at medium height and just like the sky it was on the cloudy side which I didn't mind all that much. A strong Northerly was forecast for later in the day so I had to hurry up and get my act together.
IMG_7749 (Medium).JPG
Not safe enough to cross here today..
IMG_7758 (Medium).JPG
Started off here..
I kicked the session off with the Mepps #1 Aglia Furia and things were a little slow at the start when I hooked and lost the first two trout which didn't impress me.Then it all started to fall into place as i started getting quite a few hook ups and they were all making it to the net. Some were small browns and others were in the medium size range. Not only that I also manged to catch & release four rainbows with two of them going just over the 400 gram mark. I did have one beautiful rainbow in the 500 gram range give me merry hell before it straightened the treble causing me to lose it.(the fish that is). I called it a day at 1.40pm when the Northerly hit and started howling straight down the river at around 30 kph. It was one of my best spin sessions of the trout season by far with 18 browns & 4 rainbows being caught and released from 28 hook ups.
IMG_7766 (Medium).JPG
Solid brown..
IMG_7768 (Medium).JPG
Followed by another nice brown..
IMG_7779 (Medium).JPG
Three browns caught here..
IMG_7809 (Medium).JPG
Nice rainbow, one of four caught & released.
IMG_7816 (Medium).JPG
The last rainbow of the day..
IMG_7802 (Medium).JPG
Aglia Furia catches another solid brown..
It was a session I was not expecting to happen either. I was happy when I had caught six trout early on & wasn't expecting to catch as many as I did..I did have to put on a new Aglia Furia after breaking the treble hook, that was the only downfall on the day. The Okuma 6'6'' L/Wt 1-3 kg trout rod did it's job really well too. I would liked to have caught two more trout as that would have put me on two hundred for the season. I'm still well down for the same time last season when I was on 309 trout. Actually on the 30th Nov last season I fished the upper reaches of this river for 27 browns & 1 rainbow.. Any way it was still a great spin session today..
IMG_7826 (Medium).JPG
Now for the long walk back to the car..
cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Great spin session with 22 trout Caught...

Post by rb85 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:09 pm

Good stuff Adrian reading your reports tempt me to dust of the G Loomis and tie on a red tag or royal wulff

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:44 pm

Great report and pics as always Adrian!
Now that’s more like it. 22 in a session! Gotta be happy with that. Nice work :a_goodjob:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:52 pm

Lightningx wrote:Great report and pics as always Adrian!
Now that’s more like it. 22 in a session! Gotta be happy with that. Nice work :a_goodjob:
Good session remember I used to get good numbers back when I fished for trout caught over 10 in a tiny shallow run one arvo amongst more for the day was a fish a cast.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Lightningx wrote:Great report and pics as always Adrian!
Thanks guys,
LX, catching 22 trout in a river that hasn't been fishing all that well since the start of the trout season back in August was very rewarding.. I just need two more to reach the 200 for the season..Then with five months left of the 2018/19 season I doubt I'll reach the 600 mark at this stage, it won't be for the lack of trying though.. :-D Before I left this morning I put five heat patches on my lower back & hips & two on my right shoulder, then got the wife to rub Tiger Balm into my upper back between the shoulder blades, all this to get in a river each time I go trout fishing. Once there I chewed on a couple of Panamax as well.. Got through the four hours feeling quite good.. :banana:

cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:37 pm

Got your mojo back! Nice work Adrian

Cheers, Anth

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks Anth,
I was just going through my 2018/19 Angling Club trout catch tally sheets that I fill out after each trip when I thought something wasn't right, so I tallied up my catches on sheet 2 and found that I only needed to catch two more trout yesterday to hit the 200 mark.. I forgot when I last counted it was before my catch of 17 trout in the Dasher River.. so I'm actually on 215 for the season... :banana:
cheers
Adrian
2018-19 trout season catch forms.. (Medium).JPG
My Angling Club catch forms..

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:26 am

Good work as always Adrian, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:19 am

Fantastic session there Memphis

Healthy looking fish

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:13 pm

Thanks davo & BM, they were all in top condition, the colour in the rainbows were great too...

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”