Protecting our GPS Marks and Fishing Spots from others

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Protecting our GPS Marks and Fishing Spots from others

Post by frozenpod » Fri May 03, 2019 8:40 pm

Hahaha.....

Fish move you need to find them every time you go out.

Excluding structure marks are not worth the memory card they are stored on.

Ps drifting, catches more fish.

Longshankhooks
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Longshankhooks » Fri May 03, 2019 8:51 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:07 pm
We all have our spots and unfortunately we can not truly put them under lock and key.

We are all vulnerable to the "unscrupulous person" who would do what ever they can to get our spots.

This thread is to share methods and ideas to protect our spots.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO BAG PEOPLE AND CALL THEM NAMES because that would end up with this thread being locked , , , , when it is the intent of this thread to lock our spots, as best as we can.

A Story of GPS Thievery:

An acquaintance of a mate's, catches heaps of Snapper, I mean heaps. He never berleys and only ever drifts to catch them (I on occassion drift till I find them, then I anchor) But he only drifts over the spot/school and never never anchors.

I first thought this was just his method of fishing for Snapper AND and an easy way to "get off" the spot if a boat is approaching, so as not to waste time lifting anchor, berley pots/rope etc, and to get off the spot quickly.

Prelude:
This bloke had an Upholstery Business till recently, doing Boats only - seats, covers, canopies etc etc.
While the Boat was in for some work and fitting, this bloke would help himself to the data stored in the customers GPS unit. Recreational AND COMMERCIAL Fishermen.

He was the first choice (unknowing of his thievery), that was recommended by a fair few Dealerships here in South Australia, for their customers.

If anyone knew of what he was doing, stealing GPS data, he would be drawn & quartered at the very least.

HENCE, he would never anchor , , , , not as we thought, so not to give the spot away , , , , BUT not to get caught on someone else's spot.

Where I take my Boat, they ask for all electronics to be taken off and the Boat not to have them on when dropped off , , , , for many reasons.

Do you trust where you take your Boat , , , , I mean, every employee there ????

Cheers, Bugatti
I have your back, not your spots :)
Cheeky one indeed.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri May 03, 2019 9:05 pm

This is an awkward issue. Nobody owns the ocean or what is under the water. Even fishing from piers or the rocks, some fishermen get really upset if anyone is fishing in what they consider is their spot. Even though it is a public space.

Generally speaking, most places like reefs and wrecks are public knowledge about their locations. So GPS marks tend to be available to all. A few years ago a person who was in the charted business posted all their GPS marks for everyone to use. I have them, on my GPS but haven't fished a single one of them.

I was also given a few hundred GPS marks from another person and basically use them as reference points.

Whilst a GPS mark is useful, knowing when to be there is much more useful.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri May 03, 2019 9:17 pm

rb85 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:58 pm

It’s a massive issue of contention to me about people profiting from marks and drawing crowds to once quiet coastlines.
What sort of numbers are you seeing now compared to the past that are getting you so upset about it?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:23 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:17 pm
rb85 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:58 pm

It’s a massive issue of contention to me about people profiting from marks and drawing crowds to once quiet coastlines.
What sort of numbers are you seeing now compared to the past that are getting you so upset about it?
Weekday or public holidays? I’m not going to go into details of locations but some spots on good days 10-20 boats working areas where previously there would be no one else occasionally 1-2 on weekends and it’s definitely not been a gradual increase strangely enough these areas have been published on a business page.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 pm

But a direct correlation to boat traffic in areas to a subscriber based site for profit is nothing to get frustrated by right.

Wolly is correct in everything that’s said but it’s better and more rewarding to earn your own keep.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat May 04, 2019 1:05 am

You are smack bang on the money Wolly. And there are a few issues at play.

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:05 pm

This is an awkward issue. Nobody owns the ocean or what is under the water. Even fishing from piers or the rocks, some fishermen get really upset if anyone is fishing in what they consider is their spot. Even though it is a public space.
Correct, with a social clause.

No-one owns any of it "physically". But there has to be "social convention" observed.

As an example:
A family are at a Public Park occupying one of the many Picnic Tables and enjoying a BBQ lunch being cooked at one of the BBQ s there. Two blokes come after and place their meat on the same BBQ hotplate that the family are using to cook with AND not using any of the other empty BBQ s. They also sit at the same Picnic Table that the family is sitting at, making it crowded, AND ignoring all the other empty Picnic Tables.

Yes, the family don't own The Park, or the BBQ, or the Picnic Table , , , , but the two blokes behaviour is not only rude, it is seen as Socially Unacceptable. Hence the correlation to Fishing Spots or that metre area that you are occupying on the Pier.

So yes it is an awkward issue and mainly the "intruder", who stands to benefit, is the one justifying the bad behaviour.

Conversely , , , , if that family's "favourite Picnic Table" is occupied when they arrive , , , , then they need to find a different one close , , , ,not on-top.

Wolly Bugger wrote:

Generally speaking, most places like reefs and wrecks are public knowledge about their locations. So GPS marks tend to be available to all. A few years ago a person who was in the charted business posted all their GPS marks for everyone to use. I have them, on my GPS but haven't fished a single one of them.

I was also given a few hundred GPS marks from another person and basically use them as reference points.
The protection of "known" spots isn't an issue, as they are already known to others.

"Our own" spots are the issue, as they are only known to us , , , , because we put the effort into sounding off and we discovered them.

As with the third point below by rb: I like many others, sound up our own spots, and generally away from recognised spots , , , , this then comes under the same notion as "intellectual property". I/we discovered the spot/co-ords, so we/I have a right to those co-ords but not the physical spot. So if someone coincidentally sounds up the same ground, then good luck to them. But bypassing the effort/work it takes to find a spot/co-ords and scamming/fleecing it from the original fisherman, well that is wrong , , , , just like stealing "Company Secrets" is.

Wolly Bugger wrote:

Whilst a GPS mark is useful, knowing when to be there is much more useful.
rb85 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 pm

Wolly is correct in everything that’s said but it’s better and more rewarding to earn your own keep.

Exactly , , , , Catchermen steal spots , , , , Fishermen find spots.

Also , , , , it is better to make your own fishing adventures than to copy/follow other people's.

Cheers, Bug

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sat May 04, 2019 3:19 am

I have about 200 marks on my GPS,some good some not so good,from Point Richards to Queenscliff
I really dont care if someone gets my marks as ive down loaded them about 5 times for other fishos.
Its all about where to go and when
The fun part of Fushin is exploring for new areas yourself

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat May 04, 2019 5:11 am

Happy to give people my marks. The more spots that are known the more scattered the boats. If you had my 300 odd marks you have to decide which spot is the best place to go on the day. I have an idea because of experience. To a new person it is a lottery.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat May 04, 2019 5:16 am

Which spot will get results today?
Attachments
earth_postcard_1556910767.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “GPS Marks”