Braid fraying just before leader knot

Rels
Has liked: 2 times

Braid fraying just before leader knot

Post by Rels » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:01 pm

Recently I purchased a light spin rod and 2500 reel to flick hard bodies and plastics for bream. I’m running 10 pound braid (not sure of brand, spooled at a tackle shop) to fluro or mono leader. Now after twenty or thirty casts I notice the braid starts to fray just before the knot joining the leader. I’m using an Albright knot and trimming the tag end of the leader as close to the knot as possible thinking the tag is causing the issue. I have a rod length of leader with a few wraps around the reel. Once the braid starts to fray casting distance gets shorter then eventually tangles around an eye of the rod. If anyone has any suggestions it would be highly appreciated.

Cheers.

Sinsemilla

Re: Braid fraying just before leader knot

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:25 pm

I have had this problem before with Sunline Siglon x8 braid in diameters from 6lb to 15lb using the Alberto knot. Using Suffix 832, Daiwa J-braid or Sunline SuperPE8 stopped this from happening. It might have something to do with the braid being a tighter weave.

Cheers, Anth

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:13 pm

One thing I would be checking is the condition of your guides and reel make sure theres no abrasive edges. Some people damage tips by smashing them with swivels.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:25 pm

One of.your guides is probably s scratched or chipped

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:28 pm

have you got a pic of the said knot and the fraying...
did you by any chance get the reel spooled at tackleworld? if so then they generally use Finns braid.
if the guides were shot, the whole casted length of the line would get some sort of fraying, not just at the knot

John Dory

Post by John Dory » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:51 pm

Had a similar problem recently and found a few nicks on the outside of the reel, probably from dropping it on the rocks by accident every now and then.

Rels

Post by Rels » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:37 am

Cheers for the reply’s,
I actually bought the rod and reel two weeks ago and had it spooled. I did purchase it from Tackleworld, however they did not have any Finns in the line weight I was looking for and they used something else. I did drop by there today and talked to one of the staff, he thinks it may be the knot and did say if it keeps happening they would replace the line with Finns. Im new to this light lure/tackle thing and just wanted to make sure it’s not me. I haven’t had this problem throwing metal slugs in the surf, hopefully I will be able to get out again soon and take some photos of what is happening.

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:59 pm

try an "FG knot"

I used to have the same problems using the albright/alberto knot. The issue is the knot doesnt tie off as well as the FG does.

This video is the version i use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk

Found it much easier to tie than other versions of the knot

Rels

Post by Rels » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:25 am

The FG knot seemed to do the trick, casted for over an hour last night with no problems. Cheers!

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”