Savage Gear Swim Squid

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Savage Gear Swim Squid

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:57 pm

Hey guys, ive been taking a break for the last few months as i usually do over winter. I like to get away from fishing and re charge for the summer season every year. Anyway with the mighty Tigers winning another Premiership i am now back in to fishing mode and hopefully will have the boat back on the water in the next week or so. Hopefully i can contribute many more reports from the northern ends of the bay.

Anyway i was just having a look around at some of the new stuff they have at BCF and i came across these Savage Gear Squid soft plastics. They look great and at the current price i think i will go and load up on them tomorrow.

Has anyone seen or used these yet? Any recommendations on size or colour? I dont even know if they are new, but i have never noticed them before.

I figure that with the success regular shaped soft plastics have with snapper then these should be dynamite.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Savage Gear Swim Squid

Post by 4liters » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:28 pm

Those Chasebaits squid plastics looked the bees knees when they first came out a few years ago but I've had no luck on them and I've never heard of anyone catching anything on them (outside of the promotional videos) either.

These might be different I guess, but I'd be wary about buying heaps of them.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:45 pm

in Queensland, a guy caught a barra and a mangrove jack on one.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:02 pm

I hear about people getting kingies in NZ with the chasebaits squid, probably because it emulates an arrow squid which is native to NZ waters & what the kings feed on.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:45 pm

The way to fish them is to thread them on a standard worm hook (the jighead type hook without the lead weight) with a 30-50cm leader to a swivel with a suitable barrel sinker above. They work when the weight isn't directly connected to them so it looks like a natural squid hovering

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Well i decided to go for a run down to BCF and pick some up before waiting for replies :tu:

They were $5 each (or $2.50 each for the smaller ones that come in a twin pack), so i got 8 lures for of various sizes and colours for $25 which would normally be $75 worth of stuff. Ive certainly wasted a lot more than that on things that dont work haha.

I was hoping to rig them as i would rig a real squid.. pin the hook through the end of the tube with a 1m leader to a swivel and a #1 ball sinker. But these all came pre rigged with weights and sinkers so i guess i just have to go with that.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Return to “Snapper Fishing”