Favourite Land Based Locations With Target Species.

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Re: Favourite Land Based Locations With Target Species.

Post by Fishbref » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:23 am

croe04 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:58 am
Target: Toadies
Outfit: Shimano T-Curve GT special w/ Size 18000 Stella
Lure: Halco Rooster Popper
IMG_1567.jpg
Ripper toad, mate! :gj:

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:45 am

Fishbref wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:23 am
croe04 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:58 am
Target: Toadies
Outfit: Shimano T-Curve GT special w/ Size 18000 Stella
Lure: Halco Rooster Popper
IMG_1567.jpg
Ripper toad, mate! :gj:
Cheers mate, the big toads go nuts for the white redhead popper, especially when they're bustin up :gj:

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Leronzia wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:43 am
DougieK wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:34 am
Leronzia wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:31 am

Appreciate It A lot, yeah cant stand crowded areas, i like my peace and quiet. Cheers your a great man, and will definitley read your tutorial on king fishing if you do. (and if anyone could link me how to balloon fish, never done it would appreciate it.
Mate you should have seen CarlG and my first attempt at ballooning out at Bushrangers Bay. Absolute clown show.
you reckon i can take a 17 yr old with me or nah? to tongues point
Ive done it with my eleven year old but he os just as crazy as me.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Leronzia
Has liked: 23 times

Post by Leronzia » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:28 pm

DougieK wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:16 pm
Leronzia wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:43 am
DougieK wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:34 am
Leronzia wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:31 am

Appreciate It A lot, yeah cant stand crowded areas, i like my peace and quiet. Cheers your a great man, and will definitley read your tutorial on king fishing if you do. (and if anyone could link me how to balloon fish, never done it would appreciate it.
Mate you should have seen CarlG and my first attempt at ballooning out at Bushrangers Bay. Absolute clown show.
you reckon i can take a 17 yr old with me or nah? to tongues point
Ive done it with my eleven year old but he os just as crazy as me.
Appreciate all the tips and tricks and spots doug. You're a great man

ronan
Has liked: 91 times

Post by ronan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:34 pm

DougieK wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:37 am
croe04 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:28 am

Dougie how often do kings actually come up into docklands? i've only ever seen it twice on video, and only one of those was actually landing the fish.
The bloke was using a great big iso rod with no reel which was pretty impressive.

Also, if you were to chase kings in docklands, what kind of line test / rod weight / reel size and drag would suffice?
I don't fish anywhere near the CBD anymore. I can't stand the way people act in crowded spots and would rather be alone and catch less than be next to a bunch of hyper aggro wannabe UFC fighter wankers.

Just listen to this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5vGJoSMeyU

"Whoever" was holding the camera knows what he's doing, the other two look and sound like an audition for the Benny Hill show.

I'm not interested in standing anywhere near people like this. Mornington and Docklands probably produce more kingfish land based each year than all of the front ledges put together.

Fish the heaviest line and rod you can. I'm using 150lb leader and 60lb tasline for my lure setup. 80lb mono for my live baiting gear. Kings run back and forth and up and down, you're not going to get spooled, you're going to get rubbed off. 100m of 80lb is fine, and fish within 3-5m of the structure you're standing on. I'm using either an AFAW 6+bait or a PE8 popping rod. Gosa 20k or Saltiga expo 5500h.

I've hooked kings on 400lb marlin leader and seen them shy away from 30lb fluro. If they are feeding it doesnt' matter, and if they aren't, it also doesn't matter.

If i get time later this week, i'll write a full tutorial on exactly what i'm doing.
I’m heading to some ledges in a week, will 60lb leader suffice for livebaiting or should i bump up to 80 or 100lb? Cheers, can’t wait.

matari
Has liked: 5 times

Post by matari » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:50 pm

ronan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:34 pm
DougieK wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:37 am
croe04 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:28 am

Dougie how often do kings actually come up into docklands? i've only ever seen it twice on video, and only one of those was actually landing the fish.
The bloke was using a great big iso rod with no reel which was pretty impressive.

Also, if you were to chase kings in docklands, what kind of line test / rod weight / reel size and drag would suffice?
I don't fish anywhere near the CBD anymore. I can't stand the way people act in crowded spots and would rather be alone and catch less than be next to a bunch of hyper aggro wannabe UFC fighter wankers.

Just listen to this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5vGJoSMeyU

"Whoever" was holding the camera knows what he's doing, the other two look and sound like an audition for the Benny Hill show.

I'm not interested in standing anywhere near people like this. Mornington and Docklands probably produce more kingfish land based each year than all of the front ledges put together.

Fish the heaviest line and rod you can. I'm using 150lb leader and 60lb tasline for my lure setup. 80lb mono for my live baiting gear. Kings run back and forth and up and down, you're not going to get spooled, you're going to get rubbed off. 100m of 80lb is fine, and fish within 3-5m of the structure you're standing on. I'm using either an AFAW 6+bait or a PE8 popping rod. Gosa 20k or Saltiga expo 5500h.

I've hooked kings on 400lb marlin leader and seen them shy away from 30lb fluro. If they are feeding it doesnt' matter, and if they aren't, it also doesn't matter.

If i get time later this week, i'll write a full tutorial on exactly what i'm doing.
I’m heading to some ledges in a week, will 60lb leader suffice for livebaiting or should i bump up to 80 or 100lb? Cheers, can’t wait.
I don't chase kingies but i'd think bump up as Dougies 60lb braid breaks at 91lbs.
Cheers Matari

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 pm

ronan wrote:

I'm legit fishing 150lb on my spin setup. Have hooked kings on 250 and 400lb marlin leaders. If you're less experienced go heavier. People who fish out of boats have different opinions, land based is going to be a brawl from start to finish. We legit got smoked on 37kg game gear on the last trip by a fish that just ran straight along then under the ledge we were standing on.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:41 pm

DougieK wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 pm
ronan wrote:

I'm legit fishing 150lb on my spin setup. Have hooked kings on 250 and 400lb marlin leaders. If you're less experienced go heavier. People who fish out of boats have different opinions, land based is going to be a brawl from start to finish. We legit got smoked on 37kg game gear on the last trip by a fish that just ran straight along then under the ledge we were standing on.
Kingies are the epitomy of go hard or go home. Lock up and brutalize them or you're toast, especially if you're landbased.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:46 pm

Leronzia wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:06 pm
CarlG wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:43 pm
Squid, Mt Martha, and a few of the Southern Peninsula jetties.
Salmon and Mullet, Gunnamatta
Snaps, Phillip Island.
Kingies, not telling you.
“Not telling you.” Wheres that never heard of
It's to the north south of never land mate.
Surely everyone knows that..?..lol..

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:52 am

CarlG wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:46 pm
Leronzia wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:06 pm
CarlG wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:43 pm
Squid, Mt Martha, and a few of the Southern Peninsula jetties.
Salmon and Mullet, Gunnamatta
Snaps, Phillip Island.
Kingies, not telling you.
“Not telling you.” Wheres that never heard of
It's to the north south of never land mate.
Surely everyone knows that..?..lol..
There was this guy I met at Cunningham pier, told me about this Neverland somewhere in the border or north and south, full of sun and rainbow everyday, and you can fish for kingfish right by the car park.
But he was smoking grass when he told me, so I wasn't convinced.

On serious comment, I've been to the end of tongue point. Was a long walk/hike. Carrying heavy reels and long rods would make it harder. No guarantee of catching fish either.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”