Corona Virus Part 3

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Re: Corona Virus Part 3

Post by Stumpjumper » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:48 pm

croe04 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:45 pm
'No medical background'
'Leading doctor dismisses his claims'

hmn....
Yeah nah....lots of doctors with wide ranging opinions on this. Take the federal CMO for example, schools are safe and kids should go back. Chairman Dan's CMO...keep your kids at home.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:54 pm

ducky wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Running a 20% strike rate on tests? I call bull. They aren’t testing. They aren’t reporting properly. Rumour has it if you die with the symptoms but weren’t tested they aren’t testing post mortem and aren’t counting it towards the stats.
This isn't actually a rumour by the way
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/nyre ... eaths.html

Florida doesn't disclose if anyone who has died in a nursing home had Covid either:
https://floridapolitics.com/archives/32 ... ming-surge

Same in Ohio:
https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200415/ ... sfeed=true

The actual number of deaths is way higher than reported, we won't get an indication of the true number until the total weekly/monthly death statistics are released. They might not show how many were diagnosed with Coronavirus but if there's a long term average that suddenly spikes up around March/April you can get a fair idea.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Stumpjumper

Post by Stumpjumper » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:58 pm

I would put to you the number of deaths due to the virus are more than likely over inflated. Do you really think autopsies are being performed on possibly infected bodies at the moment? A lot will have died with the virus not because of it, where have all the regular heart attacks and cancer deaths gone?

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:00 pm

Stumpjumper wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:48 pm
croe04 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:45 pm
'No medical background'
'Leading doctor dismisses his claims'

hmn....
Yeah nah....lots of doctors with wide ranging opinions on this. Take the federal CMO for example, schools are safe and kids should go back. Chairman Dan's CMO...keep your kids at home.
Federal chief medical officer has no background in virology, epidemology or pathology. Victorian Chief Health officer has an extensive clinician background and worked in the field of communicable diseases.
Also, you've previously dismissed Australian modelling but just accept numbers ran by some random israeli mathematician? that has been discredited by experts? Seriously?

Stumpjumper

Post by Stumpjumper » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:02 pm

I haven't "accepted it" you goose. I specifically said I don't know if it is right or wrong....do you?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:06 pm

Stumpjumper wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:58 pm
I would put to you the number of deaths due to the virus are more than likely over inflated. Do you really think autopsies are being performed on possibly infected bodies at the moment? A lot will have died with the virus not because of it, where have all the regular heart attacks and cancer deaths gone?
Which is why charts like this are handy. The usual number of people dying per day is going to be roughly the same, maybe changing over time as the population rows or demographics change.

Then you get an event like a pandemic or a terrorist attack which adds a huge number of additional deaths which shows up as a big spike. Note that a lot of them had never been formerly declared as deaths due to coronavirus. Was there a sudden surge in heart attacks and cancer in the last month? Or is it that people are just dying at home without a diagnosis.
Hint: it's the second one: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52196815

edit: i've taken a clearer snapshot that doesn't have my browser getting in the way. You still need to click to enlarge it to see it properly though
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:10 pm

Stumpjumper wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:02 pm
I haven't "accepted it" you goose. I specifically said I don't know if it is right or wrong....do you?
I do actually. Anyone who knows anything about viruses could tell you that 'top prof' isn't correct when he claims viruses disappear in 70 days 'no matter the measures put in place'

Stumpjumper

Post by Stumpjumper » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:29 pm

Australian testing is greater and wider than ever, yet the reported infection rate is going down, not up. Of over 3000 tests in NSW today, a lot less than 1% detected.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:33 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:06 pm
Stumpjumper wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:58 pm
Which is why charts like this are handy. The usual number of people dying per day is going to be roughly the same, maybe changing over time as the population rows or demographics change.

Then you get an event like a pandemic or a terrorist attack which adds a huge number of additional deaths which shows up as a big spike. Note that a lot of them had never been formerly declared as deaths due to coronavirus. Was there a sudden surge in heart attacks and cancer in the last month? Or is it that people are just dying at home without a diagnosis.
Hint: it's the second one: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52196815

edit: i've taken a clearer snapshot that doesn't have my browser getting in the way. You still need to click to enlarge it to see it properly though
Jeez that’s a lot of heart attacks and cancer deaths mate.

Also I heard it was the sudden dose of asbestos during sept 11 that led to rapid onset mesothelioma.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Stumpjumper wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:29 pm
Australian testing is greater and wider than ever, yet the reported infection rate is going down, not up. Of over 3000 tests in NSW today, a lot less than 1% detected.
Is that because the lockdowns are working??? Or??

Return to “General”