The Mrs wants to come fishing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

The Mrs wants to come fishing

Post by Troy McLure » Sat May 30, 2020 6:14 pm

Right, I’m at Venus Bay last week at my Mrs’house, plastering and painting with not much fishing time on the agenda except early Sunday morning. I wanted to go to the beach but conditions weren’t ideal so the Tarwin was a great alternative. Haven’t fished for months because of some virus going around and couldn’t wait to get out when I’m confronted with my worst nightmare. Out of nowhere my better half decides she wants to get into fishing to spend more time with me. I was like a rabbit in the headlights and agreed, I mentioned the cold and drizzle but she was keen to tag along.
The next 3 hours were spent baiting her hook, untangling her line from friggen everything in sight and re rigging her line after she snagged and snapped off. I was like a deckhand on a charter boat, no fun at all. Morning completely shot, no fish and no joy at all except for her, she loved it.
I’m sure blokes on here take their wives fishing and that’s great but I enjoy fishing alone want to keep it that way, she’s already talking about next time!!
Any tips to nip this in the bud would be appreciated.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: The Mrs wants to come fishing

Post by Texas » Sat May 30, 2020 6:33 pm

If you keep doughnutting, she'll tire of it
Asking for nookies in the bush, may put her off. If not you'll have a good day anyway
Marriage councillor
Gra
Casting practice in the back yard
Basic knot tying
Last edited by Texas on Sat May 30, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat May 30, 2020 6:36 pm

Get what you are saying but you are also pretty lucky, have had ex's and known ex's that were overly restrictive, suppressive and manipulative regarding their partners interests/hobbies.

I'd suggest find some fishing options that's easy for you to enjoy but also manage her(eg surf fishing - good opportunity for sun baking/chilling while fishing), tell her if she wants to get a little more into it she's also gotta develop some basic skills herself (knots, tangles, baiting) and tell her you also need some space yourself within the hobby. If she's good, she'll understand and comply with the last two.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sat May 30, 2020 6:50 pm

My wife loves the bush, but, not fishing
If I take her, she reads a book while I doughnut
Gra
She won't come if I'm going with mates
Last edited by Texas on Sat May 30, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troy McLure

Post by Troy McLure » Sat May 30, 2020 6:51 pm

Nookies in the bush!! Classic stuff, that’s got to be an option.
😂

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat May 30, 2020 6:57 pm

When The Iron Princess first started fishing with me, we literally spent a couple of hours drilling knots and a bit of time down the road at the park learning the biomechanical movements of casting a salmon slug, avoiding wind knots, good fighting techniques and how drag works.

Invest in the skills and your enjoyment of fishing with your partner will increase exponentially.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by trout-hunter » Sat May 30, 2020 7:02 pm

Few years back me and the wife spent the weekend on lake eildon, not fishing to much but still put in a few hours, on our way home i decided to stop at the pondage for a quick flick, she was just itching to get home so only gave me half hour.. i said thats all ill need! I gave her my rod that was already set up while i started setting up her rod, she had 1 cast and BOOM! Big brown but it spat the lure on the bank, she got pist off and didn't want to leave untill she landed one. Im now casting my best lures while she went with cheap nast lures i buy in bulk off ebay.. im laughing to myself thinking she had no chance.. about 5 hours later she told me she was hooked in weeds so i told her to just walk backwards untill it comes free or brakes.. this is what she dragged up onto the bank! I came home empty handed.. it was her first time fishing with lures aswell..
Attachments
20190217_143128_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sat May 30, 2020 7:11 pm

I think it's great taking the Mrs fishing if she wants to be with you not and to be a pain in the ass then what is the bad point really?
I love my Mrs going fishing with me she is my best mate and if she isn't fishing she will read a book it's not just about fishing :tu:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat May 30, 2020 7:29 pm

When my missus first started coming with me it used to be a nightmare so I can understand how you feel but now she’s great. Ties her own knots and everything.
We are actually going for a session together tomorrow 😊
Cheers 👍🏻

Troy McLure

Post by Troy McLure » Sat May 30, 2020 7:31 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I love spending time with her but she is asking a lot. I much prefer to fish alone. Plus she’ll probably out fish me like trout-hunter.

Return to “General”