Science of Squid Fishing

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Science of Squid Fishing

Post by Texas » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:14 pm

Great information Andrews
Just a typo I think, "most active btw dawn & dusk. Can still be caught during the day".
I think this is one on the best threads ever
More please
Not salty
Gra

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Outstanding post. Thanks for making the effort and sharing.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:07 pm

Thanks Happyfriggincamper! 100% give it a go, they're awesome and even better on the chew!

Thanks Stevo, I'm glad hearing that I'm not the only one hooked on squid fishing! I think it's a fun learning experience chasing calamari and the thrill of feeling those thumps never gets old!

Thanks Texas, haha! There had to be one, or a few typos in all that text! I'll be sure to keep sharing my experience chasing the PPB calamari.

Thanks Pedro, always happy sharing my experiences fishing!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:13 am

Great info mate
Hanging to get out there

Squidgram

Post by Squidgram » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:38 am

Everything written here can be found on the Internet else where. Good research plus good read but not all info is correct.
I am a newbie here and probably not the best introduction, most info on the web is backed by a sales person or for marketing 🤷🏽‍♂️
Grab your squid gear and as soon as you here there’s rain coming. Race down your local squid grounds and fish it ;)

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:06 am

Marketing gimmick or not, we can only try what we can do.

For me personally, it's about the confidence too. Choose the lure I'm confident with, backed up by information gained in the past, whether be marketing gimmick or actual experience.
Because I know when I'm confident, my casting be much better, more accurate, presentation and retrieve be much better too, thus often get me fish/squid.

I'm not to call whether those sales marketing gimmick is 100% accurate or not but they must hold some true information (works for me at least). Because if people are not catching based on that info, they wont buy their products, so I assume those sales people want us to catch with their products, thus we buy more of their products.

I might be a victim of a marketing gimmick, but I'm confident and happy being fooled by them coz I catch squid based on that info.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:08 am

Not my video, but I gotta share this cool footage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P9cAIVpdD7I&feature=youtu.be#menu
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:33 pm

100% Squidgram, this is purely a collection of things to consider and what has been published through scientific research haha.
I think you're right, the people publishing the research are backed by the companies who produce the product, and too right, research costs money and these companies to fund the research have to sell more jigs.

I think some of the science needs more research, behavioural studies on squid is a new concept. I think that we may never, fully understand why squid do certain things, but the what we can do is be open to learning. I always push that colour/foil makes the biggest difference. It's all those small things like the colour/pattern of natural baitfish, to the flash of a fishes scales hitting the sun. The better we can mimic the prey, the better chances we have haha!

Cheers for the video Sebb!

Here is a video I found really interesting, helping explain why sometimes we hook the squid by the 'crown' or tentacles, vs on the candles! Behavioural Science be crazy! One thing I personally have noticed is that right before a calamari 'grabs' the jig, it turns from a lighter 'white' colour to a deeper 'brown'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-88rOWaeg0
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Return to “Squid Fishing”