Where to catch Bronzies landbased.

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Where to catch Bronzies landbased.

Post by greggo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:19 pm

I'm looking for some advice for landbased Bronzies nearer to home. Ninety Mile beach is getting a hammering, and unpredictable with the conditions.

I'm looking for somewhere a bit closer, maybe Westernport and head east to Cape Liptrap. I'll be droning baits out so I wont be needing easy access to drag a kayak.

Has anyone had any experience along that side of the coast?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Where to catch Bronzies landbased.

Post by 4liters » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:30 pm

There’s a ledge just south of walkerville that would be a good spot for them. Not so good for floating a balloon out because of the way the wind swirls over the cliff but it would be fine for a drone
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

greggo

Post by greggo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:08 pm

4liters wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:30 pm
There’s a ledge just south of walkerville that would be a good spot for them. Not so good for floating a balloon out because of the way the wind swirls over the cliff but it would be fine for a drone
Thanks mate, I'll check it out on Google Maps.

Do you reckon there'll be boat traffic there?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:56 pm

If what gwaine from salt guide has just done is anything to go by, id be heading down to some of the beaches at corinella and trying down there..

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:54 am

Balcombe Beach Mt Martha.

Some guys got a decent one a few years back.

But in seriousness, any unobstructed Surf beach is a reasonable chance, or if you get a reasonable day any of the assorted south facing rock ledges.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

greggo

Post by greggo » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:31 pm

DougieK wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:54 am
Balcombe Beach Mt Martha.

Some guys got a decent one a few years back.

But in seriousness, any unobstructed Surf beach is a reasonable chance, or if you get a reasonable day any of the assorted south facing rock ledges.
Thanks for that. I used to fish from Mt Martha to Rye pier but the boats became a problem running over lines. That's fair enough, they dont know there's a balloon 400m out.

I'm purely catch and release which doesn't lend itself to rock ledges where it's necessary to gaff, or flying gaff the shark to land it.

I agree with the south facing beaches, there's plenty to choose from: I'll just have to get off my as$, do the hard-yards and go "prospecting".

Thanks everyone for your input.

Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Post by Matthew drako » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:34 pm

hooked 2 earlier this year at williamstown when the little salmon were around. they were chasing the schools, we were just mucking around throwing the salmon on 8/0 circles live to see what happens and we had 2 runs from the first 2 so we continued then hooked one which surfaced straight away. would've been around 6 feet long then round 2 on the next cast. didn't have wire trace handy so the fight didn't last long before chewing through 80lb (toughest we had) leader

Longbombs
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Longbombs » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:41 am

Matthew drako wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:34 pm
hooked 2 earlier this year at williamstown when the little salmon were around. they were chasing the schools, we were just mucking around throwing the salmon on 8/0 circles live to see what happens and we had 2 runs from the first 2 so we continued then hooked one which surfaced straight away. would've been around 6 feet long then round 2 on the next cast. didn't have wire trace handy so the fight didn't last long before chewing through 80lb (toughest we had) leader
There were a fair few gillers caught in Port Melb this year as well.

That blue shark was also around when the salmon were.

junior
Has liked: 58 times

Post by junior » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:38 pm

Recently heard that people are catching bronzies in the bay around black rock and not all that far out either. Is this for real? Can anyone either confirm or shoot down this report? I'd hate to think we get them so close to the bay beaches where a lot of people swim

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:00 pm

junior wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:38 pm
I'd hate to think we get them so close to the bay beaches where a lot of people swim
That's exactly where we get them lol

But if anyone bothers to do even a tiny bit of research they'll learn that bronzies are not really a dangerous shark unless provoked so unless you're doing something to really **** one off you're probably fine.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Shark Fishing”