Restoring the ego

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Restoring the ego

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:40 pm

Well over the last 2 years, I haven't landed a single bluefin.

With the weather forecast being strong wind warning so decided to hit the bay and give it a shot, trolled a couple of lures and scored a double hook up on some salmon, but alas, lost one, landed the other.

Turned to squid and managed hooked two and lost one of them, then headed to an old stomping ground and drifted for some squid. Managed to score the bag limit, except the last squid was a little small so was released.

The technique was too, motor down current, the tide was running in, and drift past the mark, once passed the mark, motor south of the mark and then drift back again, some others decided to anchor so kind of spoilt my drift a little bit, but managed to drift passed them by a few feet.

So I didn't catch any bluefin, but managed on the salmon and the squid.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Restoring the ego

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:50 pm

beats being at work mate. theres quite a few squid in the bay atm.
where did you score the salmon, and any size to them?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:53 pm

Well done Wolly on getting amongst the Squid and Salmon hope you enjoyed your day out. If I have a few poor trips I tend to get disappointed/frustrated but I don't lose confidence. Ego doesn't come into fishing for me theres confidence and enjoyment but I don't get an increase in south-worth if I catch a fish or not, enjoyment yes fulfilment yes but ego no because one persons great catch can mean f-all to the next it''s whether you had fun catching it that matters.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:20 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:40 pm

With the weather forecast being strong wind warning so decided to hit the bay and give it a shot, trolled a couple of lures and scored a double hook up on some salmon, but alas, lost one, landed the other.

Turned to squid and managed hooked two and lost one of them, then headed to an old stomping ground and drifted for some squid. Managed to score the bag limit, except the last squid was a little small so was released.

The technique was too, motor down current, the tide was running in, and drift past the mark, once passed the mark, motor south of the mark and then drift back again, some others decided to anchor so kind of spoilt my drift a little bit, but managed to drift passed them by a few feet.

Wow there's a lot to boating than just fish. I'll remember that when I get my first boat one day.
Well done on the squid.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:18 am

Well done on squid mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:59 am

Trolling for salmons is still great fun and can’t complain with a bag of squid :thumbsup:

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:11 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:20 pm
Wolly Bugger wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:40 pm

Wow there's a lot to boating than just fish. I'll remember that when I get my first boat one day.
Well done on the squid.
When I had my tinnie, drifting amongst the moorings in Sorrento was fantastic and easy, the larger boat makes it a little bit more difficult. Like the tinnie was open so could cast in any direction so it didn't matter which direction it was facing in the drift. The glass boat has a half cab and bimini so casting direction is restricted to the stern and sides.

Return to “Game Fishing”