Frustrating

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Frustrating

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat May 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Safety is extremely important for anglers and boaters and kayakers and divers/snorklers.

It is frustrating trying to chase up details about what contributed to a persons injury/accident/death whilst engaging in activity on the water.
The Coroner does publish it's findings, usually months or years after the event. In some instances a court case maybe involved and so details are
kept until the court case has been held.

Marine safety Victoria does publish some cases.

Recent cases include the drownings of a number of divers/snorklers.
Boating accidents especially when a boat suddenly takes on water and over turns or even boats capsising in the normal use,

All these details can be very useful teaching tools to educate other water users about the risks and how to minimise the risks to their own personal safrety.

Boaters who do not wear life jackets when they should and as it coming up to the coldest months, cold water emersion survival is an important measure to take.

It would appear that some novice boaters are not aware that their boat may not be suitable to use on the bay, except in very mild conditions.
Even experienced people will at times make the wrong decision that results in an incident.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Frustrating

Post by Texas » Sat May 11, 2019 5:27 pm

Statement or question, Wolly ???
I'm LB but have seen many boats return to the ramp with young children on board and no pfd
I'd hazard a guess that less than 5% of boaters are equipped with anything to do with "emersion survival ".(maybe less).
Cheers Gra

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat May 11, 2019 7:26 pm

???

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:08 am

Should there be a rule for water temp and thermal wetsuits or something

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun May 12, 2019 8:56 am

smile0784 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:08 am
Should there be a rule for water temp and thermal wetsuits or something
more likely education would help - how many boat fishos get information on Hypothermia or have even thought about it
even most kayak fisho dont have a lot of idea - in some cases it's even hard to get some to wear a life jacket

check out this post from about 9 year ago on Vyak -- http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1294

and also from about the same time -- http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1989

remember that these posts were to educate Kayak fishos and we always advise to dress for that unplanned swim more so than staying on the craft it self but I think a lot could be worth a think about for the boating guys
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:24 am

Great information there.
It works for kayak and boaters
I seen some boaters get wetter then yaks

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue May 14, 2019 11:30 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Safety is extremely important for anglers and boaters and kayakers and divers/snorklers.

It is frustrating trying to chase up details about what contributed to a persons injury/accident/death whilst engaging in activity on the water.

The Coroner does publish it's findings, usually months or years after the event
I Danny De Ditto that Wolly.

It is frustrating with when details about an incident are released , , , , although it is understandable that specific details are kept for many reasons, as you mentioned Coroner's investigation, Court proceedings etc. But while there is fresh public interest in the "incident", it would be very advantageous to get at least the safety concerns publicised so as to get the most mileage out of any public warnings/reminders for safety as a whole. I would have thought that at least a basic warning could be made public without compromising any investigation. "Strike while the iron is hot" so to speak, instead of making the public warning/notice months later when there is little interest.

A classic case of this is what happened in SA a few years back.

Bugatti wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Safety Equipment can take many forms:

2-3 years back here in SA. A Bloke and his Dad (both experienced Boaties) went fishing on a mild day, mild sea conditions, in metro waters. The boat was found capsized and the father had unfortunately drowned.

They were fishing, one of them went to the other persons side of the boat to see a fish that was being landed , , , , quick as a flash, the boat listed/rolled, both ended in the water before they knew it.

Two bits of Plastic would have save their lives , , , , the forgotten Bungplugs.

Cheers, Bugatti

The information of the easily "forgotten Bungplugs" was made public weeks later. Where as if it was made known that the Bungplugs weren't in place and this was made known at the time when the incident occurred, it would have rang hard and true to most Boaties.

I do understand that the Police investigation centred on if the Bungplugs weren't in place "intentionally", which the investigation showed that that wasn't the case , , , , BUT , , , , revealing the "mechanical cause" of the incident ie, the missing Bungplugs, that would have had, I think, no bearing on the intent of "why" they weren't in place.

It just seems a shame that relevant safety information, warnings, reminders can't be made closer to the incident, to make it more relevant and current.

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Boating”