Do you read fishing books/magazines?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Bugatti

Re: Do you read fishing books/magazines?

Post by Bugatti » Mon May 27, 2019 8:28 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:35 pm
I remember i sent a report and a photo of myself to fishing monthly of landbased snapper. It came out again the follow year (or year after, cant remember) :rofl:
Must of been in "Groundhog Mag"

One spot here in SA that gets put in almost every year is The Ardrossan Barges for big Snapper , , , , a simple, generic, repetitive report , , , , a bloke holding a BIG Snapper brightens up the pages , , , , it's just a "shiny think" to impress the natives to buy mags

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Mon May 27, 2019 8:34 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:28 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:35 pm
I remember i sent a report and a photo of myself to fishing monthly of landbased snapper. It came out again the follow year (or year after, cant remember) :rofl:
Must of been in "Groundhog Mag"

One spot here in SA that gets put in almost every year is The Ardrossan Barges for big Snapper , , , , a simple, generic, repetitive report , , , , a bloke holding a BIG Snapper brightens up the pages , , , , it's just a "shiny think" to impress the natives to buy mags
Hahaha

A friend bought the mag the following year and saw my photo and messaged me sent me the pic of the article "when did you catch that big snapper??"
I saw the photo and was like, "ummm I think that's last year or year before."
Lol
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon May 27, 2019 9:52 pm

At my old job we got a lot of fishing magazines sent in, I thought a couple were OK including the Freshwater Fishing one. There was another good one, I think it was Fishlife, nice glossy cover, in depth articles (including one by VYak legend Lobo) and some cool trip reports.

The rest were pretty average, Fishing Monthly and something similar that was caravans and fishing. Those were the ones that rehashed a lot of stuff over and over, and were full of sponsored fishermen. That said, Fishing Monthly is a pretty good resource if you're looking for info because all their articles go up online. You can easily search their website via google using the "site:" function, for example typing the following into the google search bar will search Fishing Monthly for articles that mention snapper:

site:http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au snapper

You can use it to quickly search for information about spots, techniques and so on
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Mon May 27, 2019 11:15 pm

Yep, whenever I'm in the Op Shop and see a book on fishing, I can't help myself...

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue May 28, 2019 12:02 am

Cornacarpio wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:15 pm
Yep, whenever I'm in the Op Shop and see a book on fishing, I can't help myself...
Some real gems can be found in those Op Shops

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue May 28, 2019 6:21 am

Bugatti wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:19 pm
Danny De Ditto on a lot of the points made.

They are interesting to read but have waned with interesting and relevant content of recent years.

In addition:

Here in South Australia, there aren't many mags focused on SA. And once you get past the basics of "rig, bait etc" , , , , they aren't helpful other than showing the average Fisho what is unattainable to most of us , , , , in regards to locations, boat size required, expertise needed (as most reports are helped by charter style insider knowledge), and just the general "success" they have is un-achievable or at least unsustainable from an average Fisho's lifestyle.

Hence, they can almost be disheartening.

Some info or stories that are more true to life would be more appealing , , , , but that wouldn't sell lures

Cheers, Bugatti
I have visited Port MacDonnell and launched from there once, The fog was a pea super and a hundred meters from the shore, all sight of land disappeared. It was an eerie feeling being out on the water with the swell rolling in through the fog.

there are some spectacular places like Streaky Bay or Cactus.

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Tue May 28, 2019 7:28 am

Growing up (32 now) i used to read Paul Worstlings "Fishing westernport" just about every day. Then forums came along so thats where id get information from. Everytime i see a copy in a boat while working on them, il have a read...see if anythings changed.

Been a Mercury dealer, we pay for advertising in "Fishing monthly Victoria" and we get it delivered to us as a bonus.

Most of the same articles appear each year at the same time. Boat reviews and such are good to read. This edition has a boat show section so thats always good for a read before heading in.

It is good to read reports from around the state from the people that fish there and not have to rely on 200 different fb groups that spam your feed with "whats the best bait to use, how do i catch this etc"

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Tue May 28, 2019 7:29 am

4liters wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:52 pm
At my old job we got a lot of fishing magazines sent in, I thought a couple were OK including the Freshwater Fishing one. There was another good one, I think it was Fishlife, nice glossy cover, in depth articles (including one by VYak legend Lobo) and some cool trip reports.

The rest were pretty average, Fishing Monthly and something similar that was caravans and fishing. Those were the ones that rehashed a lot of stuff over and over, and were full of sponsored fishermen. That said, Fishing Monthly is a pretty good resource if you're looking for info because all their articles go up online. You can easily search their website via google using the "site:" function, for example typing the following into the google search bar will search Fishing Monthly for articles that mention snapper:

site:http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au snapper

You can use it to quickly search for information about spots, techniques and so on
Yes, they have online records, very handy. I check that sometimes.
I remember and article about Mac Perch in the yarra and tried to find it, couldn't find though, was few years ago.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Tue May 28, 2019 7:41 am

I agree with what 4liters has said about Fishing Monthly. In my view its the best out there on explaining strategies for catching fish under Victorian conditions. You don't have to read through a lot of hyperbole to get the key information. Great articles on blackfish, trout the Yarra etc. Several times on this site I have provided links to articles in FM.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:00 am

purple5ive wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:43 am

i still However have the FIRST issue of ZOO ;-)
they were handing them out free on the railway stations in the CBD to get the name out there, still have it at home..

Still serving you well on those lonely days at sea.

Return to “General”