Electric outboards may be an option very soon.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Electric outboards may be an option very soon.

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:42 am

smile0784 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:02 am

My question is are they self recharging while running?
How long battery last at full revs?
How long does it take to recharge at home?
Well a good questions. Tesla and other cars generate power by changing there motors to generators while coasting down hill or braking. I doubt you could do this with a boat

As for how long the battery would last. Let’s look at std lead acid batteries say a fairly std car battery about 75 ah. First you need 12 in series to make 144 volt and with a usable 50% 37 ah. They would last 11 to 12 min to be to low to use so you would need about 6 banks of 12 of these batteries per hour of running or about 72 std car batteries per hour of use. Of coarse there are other options in batteries but it gets you thinking on the scale of power needs
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 am

100kwhr lithium based battery pack as used in electric vehicles would be the minimum.

Odds are you would get 2hrs of run time on cruise which is not hugely different to similar sized 2 stroke boats.
Last edited by frozenpod on Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:22 am

cheaterparts wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:42 am
smile0784 wrote:

Well a good questions. Tesla and other cars generate power by changing there motors to generators while coasting down hill or braking. I doubt you could do this with a boat

As for how long the battery would last. Let’s look at std lead acid batteries say a fairly std car battery about 75 ah. First you need 12 in series to make 144 volt and with a usable 50% 37 ah. They would last 11 to 12 min to be to low to use so you would need about 6 banks of 12 of these batteries per hour of running or about 72 std car batteries per hour of use. Of coarse there are other options in batteries but it gets you thinking on the scale of power needs
That is a great way Cheaterparts of showing the Battery power required , , , , obviously Battery Technology is progressive BUT it still shows that any "top up" charge while running is going to be only a minor contribution to stored power.So Smiley is correct, there is a capacity to "charge itself" but only a small amount compared to the power used.

Solar Panels on a Hardtop may contribute too , , , , but again, you wouldn't think at the current technology, it wouldn't be substantial , , , , but things always get better

I think, with electric boats & outboards , , , , this may be a regular occurrence , , , ,

tow.PNG

Cheers, Bug

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:48 am

smile0784 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:25 am
4liters wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:00 pm
smile0784 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:19 pm
Mattblack wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:06 am
smile0784 wrote:
They look great.
Bring them on.
I want one.

How would it recharge itself whilst running?
Using a dynamo
I'm not sure the laws of thermodynamics work the way you think they do
It use to work on push bikes so why can't with modern day tech get it to work on other things
I’m not even sure where to begin here.

You can’t create energy from nothing, it has to come from somewhere. On a bike you are taking energy from the rider and using some of it to power a light, slowing the bike. On a car with regenerative braking you are taking energy from the forward motion of the car and using it to charge the battery, slowing the car down in the process.

Given EV batteries don’t fully charge over night when plugged in to a 240v power source we won’t be seeing electric boats charging on the water in the foreseeable future.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:13 am

4liters wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:48 am
smile0784 wrote:
4liters wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:

Using a dynamo
It use to work on push bikes so why can't with modern day tech get it to work on other things

You can’t create energy from nothing, it has to come from somewhere. On a bike you are taking energy from the rider and using some of it to power a light, slowing the bike. On a car with regenerative braking you are taking energy from the forward motion of the car and using it to charge the battery, slowing the car down in the process.

Given EV batteries don’t fully charge over night when plugged in to a 240v power source we won’t be seeing electric boats charging on the water in the foreseeable future.

And that's the point exactly , , , , they can have a "charging mechanism" of some sort fitted to produce some charge , , , , but that comes at the expense of "something" , , , , and, the charge it would produce would be very minor in the bigger picture of overall power used

A combustion engine car "charges" the battery , , , , but the battery only operates the accessories not the engine. The amount of power charge to the battery of the car is negligible compared to the power/energy required to run the car , , , , or boat, if we translate it to boats.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:33 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:22 am

That is a great way Cheaterparts of showing the Battery power required , , , , obviously Battery Technology is progressive BUT it still shows that any "top up" charge while running is going to be only a minor contribution to stored power.So Smiley is correct, there is a capacity to "charge itself" but only a small amount compared to the power used.

Solar Panels on a Hardtop may contribute too , , , , but again, you wouldn't think at the current technology, it wouldn't be substantial , , , , but things always get better
Cheers, Bug
again working on the 70 hp model

solar panels - again lets look at something simple - a fairly common solar 12 v solar panel of say 110 watt fitted to campers and boats

144 v x 320 amp = 46080 watt then / by 110 watt = 419 panels at maybe 80 % effective aimed perfectly 419 /.8 = 523 of these panels to keep up with the power flow at max - but of cause only through the strongest part of a sunny day and with the panels aimed at the sun

now thumb of rule you need about 1 square meter of good quality solar panel to make a hundred watt
that a lot of solar panel area

I think any thought of charging batteries on the water for one of these motors would be quite the challenge
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:14 pm

frozenpod wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 am
100kwhr lithium based battery pack as used in electric vehicles would be the minimum.

Odds are you would get 2hrs of run time on cruise which is not hugely different to similar sized 2 stroke boats.

Big difference is The 2 strokes have the option to carry a spare 25l of fuel in jerry can :tongue:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:23 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:48 am
smile0784 wrote:
4liters wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:

Using a dynamo

i would think an alternator type setup or a small windmill type setup would be viable.. dont think it will make a big difference though..
im not sure if the same battery in use can be charged while discharging. so an alternative set of batteries would have to be charged and then switched over when needed via a VSR or similar contraption..

also comes rest of the marine electronics like sounders, lights, radios and such.
everything is getting more and more complex and requires more power to run which means more electricity used.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:36 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:14 pm
frozenpod wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 am

Big difference is The 2 strokes have the option to carry a spare 25l of fuel in jerry can :tongue:
Yep exactly.

Electric boats (other than short range) are at this point a fantasy.

They could be viable with a diesel gen set or with a fuel cell. But both add size and weight boats cannot afford.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:09 pm

Mattblack wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
They look great.
Bring them on.
I want one.

Alternator duhh

Return to “Boating”