Long time reader, unlucky fisher

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Long time reader, unlucky fisher

Post by Aimless » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:43 pm

Hello all,

Been reading fishing reports on this forum for the last few years since moving to Vic, although it hasn't helped me much.

I am a keen fisherman and for the most part have had zero luck on my adventures in this fine state. Whenever I go home to SA, the fish start biting again.

I am near the CBD (south east) so heading out to Mornington and around the peninsula is easy on the weekend, any further out is a bit tougher for time. I am keen to discover some new spots within an hour or two of the city, so I can get out on weekends more often. Especially trout lakes for the Winter - open to suggestions!

Lately I have been running soft plastics which are a lot of fun. In fact, I've signed up because of a rip roaring adventure on a recent weekend, way out of town at Cape Bridgewater. I spent a whole day surf fishing in my waders with my tiny travel rod and pink squidgy. I caught 60+ Salmon; every time a wave came in you could see the fish shimmering in the sun. Of course, I threw most back but kept a few big ones to feed me and my friends. Maybe a controversial opinion but I reckon a good salmon, prepared well, is super delicious.

So I am in love with fishing again, after my bit of luck. I think I will try Gunnamatta this weekend to try and recreate my surf fishing success.

When I moved to Victoria it was my goal to catch a trout, and after three years the best I have managed out of any lake or stream is a Redfin. So trout is next. Suggestions please?!

Thanks!
Aimless.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Long time reader, unlucky fisher

Post by bowl » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:13 pm

:welcome2: :welcome2:
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:15 pm

I've been doing well at Albert Park lake recently. Use small hardbodies, the trout seem to love them.

cheers

croe

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:43 pm

croe04 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:15 pm
I've been doing well at Albert Park lake recently. Use small hardbodies, the trout seem to love them.

cheers

croe
Thanks for the heads up Croe, read a few of your reports! Are the ones that come out of Albert Park any good to eat? I am keen for a pan size at least once in life! Cheers.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:49 pm

:welcome2: to the forum mate :)
60+ salmon. Not a bad session at all!
Good luck down at gunnas this weekend.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi Aimless

Catching a trout is pretty straightforward. The Goulburn from Eildon to Alexandra is very popular due to its proximity to Melbourne and its healthy trout population. Put in a bit of time and you will strike gold. Even drowning some worms when the season opens will likely bring success, despite the fishing pressure.

An easier option are the tributary streams running into Lake Eildon. Flicking an unweighted worm or grasshopper, an SP or a small blade will on many occasions produce fish. Conditions and time of year are important. If the streams aren't in flood then September to November is a great time.

Catching trout in lakes can be a lot harder than in streams, often entailing specialized strategies. Use the site search function to gain some tips, checking out reports on specific lakes.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 pm

Thanks everyone.

Truedogz, handy tips! For some reason I remembered Eildon and Alexandra a longer drive than it is, but it must have just felt long after springing for a boat for a day and coming back empty! For tributaries, do you mean rivers like the Howqua / Delatite? Have been keen to get onto the Howqua but it is just that bit further away that I reckon I need a long weekend to justify the trip out.

Thanks for the heads up on the lakes and whatnot, I will give everything a try. Beach fishing and maybe some reservoirs until the weather warms up and the rivers open!

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:03 pm

In any suburban stocked trout lakes, (particularly after a recent stocking) using powerbait off the bottom, light running sinker rig with a 30-45cm leader for the powerbait to float will get you at least one trout 90% of the time in my experience. And you often catch most consistently within 10-20ft from the bank.

Further away but Eildon pondage, the same tactic is consistent but you have a chance of getting some big trout there.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:30 am

Aimless wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 pm
For tributaries, do you mean rivers like the Howqua / Delatite?
The Howqua and Delatite are good but the southern tributaries that flow through forest are better. Also tributaries of the Acheron and forested streams running into the Goulburn below Eildon. You will need to do a bit of walking, wading and bush bashing. Stealth is important.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:07 pm

Welcome mate
Not much more to say they what people alrealdy.
Keep it and and good luck

Return to “Introductions”