St Kilda pier

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
longcaster98
Has liked: 2 times

St Kilda pier

Post by longcaster98 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:29 pm

G’day fellas,

This next session tonight will be my first in a few months so I’m looking for a bit of guidance on what’s biting (micropinkies, flathead, garfish) and what they’re biting on, I’m aware it’s cold and they might be a little lethargic. Has anyone even had any luck on the St Kilda pier lately? I’m planning on garfishing and using them as livebait on the big surf rod is that a good idea for this time of year?

Thanks!
longcaster98

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: St Kilda pier

Post by bowl » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:42 pm

Always chance of a red.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:17 pm

Personally I would head over to lagoon pier, take burley if your after gars and fish on the bend facing towards the open bay *under the light* ...also have the heavy gear out for a big red.... if you don't burley forget the gars
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

feralhunter

Post by feralhunter » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Coconut and bread burley for gars.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:52 pm

longcaster98 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:29 pm
G’day fellas,

This next session tonight will be my first in a few months so I’m looking for a bit of guidance on what’s biting (micropinkies, flathead, garfish) and what they’re biting on, I’m aware it’s cold and they might be a little lethargic. Has anyone even had any luck on the St Kilda pier lately? I’m planning on garfishing and using them as livebait on the big surf rod is that a good idea for this time of year?

Thanks!
longcaster98

Try Gents (maggots) for Gar with some berley (can be as simple as bread). Also, as a general purpose bait, some squid if you have it.

Now casting out the Surf Rod , , , , definitely. I do if I'm on a Pier/jetty, you just never know AND if it does go off, it's a big reward. Even a dead bait would be good too.

Good luck and make sure you rug up warm , , , , a lot of flu about , , , , so catch everything else but not the flu.

Cheers, Bugs

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi mate,
I haven’t been there for awhile but used to get plenty of gars at this time of the year :)
Both on the left side of the pier and on the right a bit up from the sheltered hut. Just depends on the wind as to which side I would fish. A simple breadcrumb and water mix as burley used to do the job for me. Wouldn’t hurt to have a heavier rod out for some pinkies/snapper as well :)
Good luck and let us know how you go.
Cheers :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:51 pm

Good luck mate

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:00 pm

I used to catch gars off that pier all the time when I was a kid. Burley is a must have to keep them around, I used old stale bread soaked in a bucket of sea water from there drizzle a bit of tuna oil if you have some. My go to bait was maggots on a size 6 long shank n float set about 1 meter from hook n a splitshot sinker heavy enough to sink half your float. If maggot is not appealing to you then silverfish was also top choice for bait. Ive seen people use flathead meat and chicken fillet which worked too but not as effective. Early morning, late arvo was my most successful time when they bite, they shut down on me when Sun goes down. If your planning on targeting another species on another rod be sure to bring a bell as float fishing requires 100% of your attention and you won't know if your getting bites on your big rod. Goodluck and hope you get a few. :cheers:

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:45 am

how did you go longcaster?

longcaster98
Has liked: 2 times

Post by longcaster98 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:39 am

Hey guys thought I’d update on last night, I went from 8 till midnight and it was kinda worth it, I didn’t bother with the gars so I used chicken thigh fillets from woolies doused in tuna oil and only used the surf rod. I got 3 pinkies in the high 20s and low 30s mark and a decent flattie that was 47cm. I was actually very surprised by the amount of bites I got throughout. Quick note, I thought I’d try something and fish on the main beach about 100m to the left of the big restaurant complex that’s at the stem of the pier. So next time you go to St Kilda the beach might actually be worth a shot :a_goodjob:

Thanks guys for the awesome advice I really appreciate it!
longcaster98

Return to “General”