Rocks vs surf

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Rocks vs surf

Post by Kimtown » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:39 pm

What do you guys think produce more mulloway, rocks or surf?

Talking south east NSW coast

Debating what type of fishing I'll focus on this weekend

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Rocks vs surf

Post by Redhunter » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:50 pm

Or, are you better fishing in a lake/river system for them?
Jews love structure to rub you off on. They're just like kingies in that regard. Personally, I'd look at beaches or rock walls, or the lake systems if the weather is crap. You will have a better chance dusk till dawn too.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:14 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:50 pm
Jews love structure to rub you off on. They're just like kingies in that regard. Personally, I'd look at beaches or rock walls, or the lake systems if the weather is crap. You will have a better chance dusk till dawn too.
Hmmmm.... that narrows absolutely nothing down :rf:

Have you been to green cape / wonboyn area before?

Keenfisho

Post by Keenfisho » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:27 pm

I have Kimtown, although I have never put a lot of effort in there chasing Jews but I think there would be better places to go if that’s what your chasing. But if that’s where your going I would be concentrating on the lake/mouth. But that’s just my opinion

Keenfisho

Post by Keenfisho » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:36 pm

But to probably answer your question better. Rocks during the day beach at night 👍🏼

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:55 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:14 pm
Redhunter wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:50 pm
Hmmmm.... that narrows absolutely nothing down :rf:

Have you been to green cape / wonboyn area before?
Sorry man, I've never chased them outside of Melbourne. Not that it helps, but I did see a free swimmer under torch light at Narooma near the boat ramp once, cruising the edges. Was a good fish too.

You might just have to do some homework and put some theories into action. You might find it tough to get much info out of any locals.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:57 pm

Keenfisho wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:36 pm
But to probably answer your question better. Rocks during the day beach at night 👍🏼
Precisely what I was thinking of doing, but moreso for safety reasons.

I'll also be targeting kings off the rocks although I don't have high expectations with any type of fishing there other than diving lol.

How did you go when you went there?

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:23 am

I know you PM'd me but i'll put this up so everyone can see.

The lake at Wonboyn is pretty difficult to fish. I've been down there a few times and never really caught anything.

The Nullica river is sheltered from windy condiitions and full of flathead. Cam landed half a dozen of them there in about 20 minutes. We also used a bait trap to collect a heap of mullet.

The beach out the front I've never fished with any kind of effort.

During a South, South West or Westerly wind, the NORTH side of greencape at pulpit rock is a good spot. During a NW, N or NE wind, the southside at City Rock is a better option. Keep your baits up off the bottom with a balloon or float, city rock is an excellent shark spot while pulpit seems to produce kingfish. Lot's of berley at pulpit is helpful, at city rock if you balloon a salmon head at dusk you are likely to get sharked.

The bay at Bitangabee is full of pike. Small metals in the evening will get you enough chunk baits for the next morning. There are also squid in the area.

The two little beaches at SWC are my favorite fishing spots around that zone. I've probably landed 100 salmon in a day off the rocks that run between the two, and there is almost always a pod of dolphins feeding and playing. The rocks walking to the south drop into some deep water, which there are several spots to the north you can drop down the red stone cliffs and catch some ENORMOUS wrasse and other reef species. Fishing the bottom will see you locked in a battle with a big black stingray in almost no time at all, I've had 4 of them 2m + cruising up and down in front of me while berleying for sharks there.

If none of that suits you, walk out onto Navy Wharf, you can catch literally anything out there.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:19 am

DougieK wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:23 am
I know you PM'd me but i'll put this up so everyone can see.
Good on you Dougie :tu:

Some good local knowledge there

Cheers, Bugs

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:45 am

That navy wharf is one my fav places to fish. :gj:
Take a light rod and freeline bits of bait to catch slimy mackerel and yakkas and then balloon them out.

The real annoying bit are the leatherjackets that decimate the livies if you leave it too close to the wharf.

There was this one crazy afternoon on that wharf when I was vertical jigging a metal on a borrowed cod outfit off one of the lower platforms on full lockdown.
A school of salmon was showboating around and I just kept dropping and winding the metal in the hope that they swim by. :fi:

About 2 hours in , the entire water at my feet boiled over as a giant school of salmon came screaming up behind my metal,
I wound my metal in and it jammed against the tip of the rod. A fish grabbed the metal off the tip and then screamed off, thankfully I managed to stop it before it ran into the walls . Was a proper tug of war.
Around that 60cm mark from memory.
Was a crazy crazy experience and one I will never ever forget.

The clunk of the metal jamming against the rod tip, the entire water near the platform turning silver . And that baitcaster peeling line with me getting water sprayed on me from the fish that had just turned and smashed the lure.

:o_0:

The same weekend, I had a kingfish come up and harass my mackerel while I was trying to swap it over to the balloon.

I genuinely can’t wait to head back up that way. :wt:
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”