Reel Recommendations

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Reel Recommendations

Post by wem21 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi guys,

I'm looking into upgrading from my sienna which has been in use for a bit more than 2 years and is starting to feel a bit scratchy and I'm looking into the stradics range. Just wondering what's the difference between the c14+, fk and the new FL model, and what about the nasci? And the legalis? I'm also open to any suggestions up to around 350$

Cheers

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Reel Recommendations

Post by 4liters » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:22 pm

What are you using it for? For bait fishing just save $$ and get something a bit agricultural with a nice drag like a Slammer or a Lethal
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

wem21

Post by wem21 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:54 pm

4liters wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:22 pm
What are you using it for? For bait fishing just save $$ and get something a bit agricultural with a nice drag like a Slammer or a Lethal
It'll be for lures, soft plastics and the likes, maybe metals if salmon are around
Last edited by wem21 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:54 pm

My guess is for soft plastic fishing mainly ? i would go for the fk you should be able to pick a 2500 for a decent price now.My soft plastic setup is a shimano impact xt with the fk reel i have used this setup/reel for the last 2yrs and cannot fault the reel i tryed the ci4 on the rod and remember this reel is pretty damm light just does,nt balance right but the ci4 reel feel,s perfect on my daiwa emeraldas (light) rod .Also have a nasci okay reel bit of sloppy movement just nowhere near the stradic,s also have the daiwa bg great reel also but i love my stradic,s

wem21

Post by wem21 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:01 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:54 pm
My guess is for soft plastic fishing mainly ? i would go for the fk you should be able to pick a 2500 for a decent price now.My soft plastic setup is a shimano impact xt with the fk reel i have used this setup/reel for the last 2yrs and cannot fault the reel i tryed the ci4 on the rod and remember this reel is pretty damm light just does,nt balance right but the ci4 reel feel,s perfect on my daiwa emeraldas (light) rod .Also have a nasci okay reel bit of sloppy movement just nowhere near the stradic,s also have the daiwa bg great reel also but i love my stradic,s
Spot on with the plastics, you rekon the fk would balance better than the c14+ on a 7'2 catana?

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:23 pm

wem21 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:01 pm
dazz999 wrote:
Spot on with the plastics, you rekon the fk would balance better than the c14+ on a 7'2 catana?
Easy solved when you go to the shop grab a 72 catana try the ci4 on it then the fk/fl the daiwa emeraldas squid rod i use the ci4+ is a very light rod much lighter than the catana i bought a catana rod when they first came out many years ago . Caught my biggest flatty 69cm on the catana and sienna (older model before they stuffed them)Doe you clean your gear after each session?Now your going to splash some cash and upgrade buy some good reel oil i use the PROTECTA reel lubricant and cant fault it hope this has helped

wem21

Post by wem21 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:34 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:23 pm
wem21 wrote:
dazz999 wrote:
Easy solved when you go to the shop grab a 72 catana try the ci4 on it then the fk/fl the daiwa emeraldas squid rod i use the ci4+ is a very light rod much lighter than the catana i bought a catana rod when they first came out many years ago . Caught my biggest flatty 69cm on the catana and sienna (older model before they stuffed them)Doe you clean your gear after each session?Now your going to splash some cash and upgrade buy some good reel oil i use the PROTECTA reel lubricant and cant fault it hope this has helped
Always looked after my gear, give my rod and reel a wipedown with wd-40 (externals and internals) on a cloth after every couple sessions, and apply reel oil into the internals of the reel. I use the surecatch reel oil 9 bucks at anaconda for 30ml and I don't have complaints

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:22 pm

wem21 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:34 pm
dazz999 wrote:
wem21 wrote:
dazz999 wrote:
Always looked after my gear, give my rod and reel a wipedown with wd-40 (externals and internals) on a cloth after every couple sessions, and apply reel oil into the internals of the reel. I use the surecatch reel oil 9 bucks at anaconda for 30ml and I don't have complaints
Okay stay away from wd40 goggle it surecatch is better than nothing i pay $12 for the protecta from wayne at southern sportsfisher alot better oil i use to use the surecatch but this is better for only a couple more buck,s 35ml needle tip bottle easy to apply

wem21

Post by wem21 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:03 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:22 pm
wem21 wrote:
dazz999 wrote:
wem21 wrote:
dazz999 wrote:
Okay stay away from wd40 goggle it surecatch is better than nothing i pay $12 for the protecta from wayne at southern sportsfisher alot better oil i use to use the surecatch but this is better for only a couple more buck,s 35ml needle tip bottle easy to apply
So i shouldn't be using wd40 to wipe it down? what should i use instead?

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:20 pm

wem21 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:03 pm
dazz999 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:22 pm
wem21 wrote:
dazz999 wrote:
wem21 wrote:

So i shouldn't be using wd40 to wipe it down? what should i use instead?
Spray inox mx5 onto a rag and wipe down. WD40 will eventually break down the finish and the grease within.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”