Covid-19 discussion

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Bugatti

Re: Covid-19 discussion

Post by Bugatti » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:36 am

DougieK wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:58 pm
Troy McLure wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:42 pm
Dougie, I’m hearing what you’re saying but who decides that it’s ok to protest? Where do we draw the line? One rule for everyone until this has passed otherwise what other causes are deemed more important than Covid?
I actually agree with you. This is not a good time to be gathering in a group that large for any reason. Right now, stopping COVID 19 must be everyone's priority.

DougieK wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:38 pm

There is no 'right' time to protest, that's the entire point.
I like that "there is no right time to protest" :tu:

Only addition I'd have with the current Covid-19 situation is , , , , to find "a right way to protest"

Cheers, Bugs

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:49 am

blacklab99 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:21 pm

Thoughts, opinions or beliefs, are are what makes society.
When you start statistically correcting or challenging peoples beliefs, opinions or thoughts, that's when people become subservient.
Many a statistical FACTS, over the years, have not only been proven false, outdated, used soley for ones own political beliefs, but in itself, used for everything from wars to genocide.
Statistical facts, are created and manipulated by many, just have a look at the large drug companies, spruking statistical facts for there own gain.
A persons thoughts or beliefs, are NEVER to be challenged by statistical facts, Geez, the differences are what makes our society, only those that believe everyone should agree and think like themselves should consider change.

Please give me a world, that encourages thoughts and opinions, rather than having to believe in some bureaucrats manipulative garbage.
Proof, is not some obscure report, which many are unchallenged or backed by fact, but there are some that use it as there bible.

Please give me a world, where opinions, first hand experience, and peoples thoughts, rein supreme over written dialogue, made by the so called intellectual muppets....

What a miserable world we live in, if statistics rein supreme, God forgive us all...

Col

I'm on my way to a fishing trip and don't have time to go through everything that's wrong with this post until probably Wednesday.

What is being stated is not an opinion, it is a factual inaccuracy. I refer you to the third post in this thread.
DougieK wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:05 am
Don't post an opinion posing as a fact and expect it not to be contested.
The opinion stated was that the ABC was politically left, and I provided statistics that show it's smack bang in the middle. I further stated that the majority of the media in Australia is owned by a right wing mogul, and that because of this the ABC's central opinion and factual
reporting appears to be further left in the context of the current Australian media and political climate. This is, in fact, the same thing that's happened to me. The two spectrums of political nuffery have gone so far either way that anyone who is actually in the middle is alienated and treated as 'the enemy' by almost everyone.

You can say 'i dont' like what's on the ABC' and that's fine. That's an opinion.

The anti-intellectualism argument is poorly disguised tribalism and your reference to 'god' suggests that you're mind is already made up no matter what evidence is put in front of you. Forget what 'your side' thinks and look at the actual evidence in front of you.

Let me ask you the question, at what point does a statistically, provably false 'opinion' become a lie? Or are people entitled to tell lies disguised as opinions, and you'll agree with them just because you happen to like what they have to say?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

ango

Post by ango » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:04 am

All forms of discrimination are wrong, be it racism, sexism, ageism and Etc. Having said that I see little difference between encouraging mass gatherings during a pandemic and encouraging people into the bush during periods of extreme fire danger. Both are irresponsible and place the community at risk. I think the organisers of the BLM rallies have shown themselves to be selfish and indulgent and they should face the legal consequences of their actions as should the people that attended the rallies, but it seems there is a double standard here.
Cheers
Ango.

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:16 am

Regarding the ABC stats about percentage of time spent talking about the LNP, that may be factually correct but from what I see they spend most of the time whacking them for this and that. ABC should be bang in the middle but I don’t think they are. Just my opinion. And for what it’s worth I’m not a regular Herald Sun reader anymore, they are like the ABC but to the right.
Left or right black or white, we’re just going in circles now. Treat others how you want to be treated and most things should fall into place.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:24 am

Hi Dougie,
Statistics, are a historical trend, period...
Statistics have been proven inaccurate, time after time, they are not an opinion, nor are they set in stone, they are purely a reference record of events, nothing more, a percentage, which change on a daily basis with peoples changing actions and views.
You asked whether people are entitled to tell lies disguised as opinions...
The answer is YES, because in there eyes, they are actually opinions, there only interpreted by you as lies because you have a differing opinion. You would have us believe, that every piece of statistic you present, has been impartially collated by " those that are not to be questioned", you ask us to believe these statistics as factual and un questionable . I say, get a life, I believe in first hand evidence, mainly collated by life's experiences, not by interlectual muppets who you seem to worship.
Statistics, are yesterdays news, because today's opinions and actions, change those so called statistics, which make them invalid.

No one needs to be attacked for expressing there beliefs and contributing. Opinions are like ars@holes, everyone's got one, but society works by being tolerant of those when there opinions differ from your own and having the ability to respect others opinions.
Then there's those that are so staunch in there opinions, they use "statistics" and label others opinions as "lies" as they can't accept a differing view.

You are under the belief, that by posting up, statistical information, then declaring ones opinion is instantly proven wrong, then you go further by calling the opinion a lie, which you can't tolerate.

You have some issues brother !! maybe just take a minute before you post, walk round the block. there's no need to jump on everyone's opinions and present published statistics to push you bias, this is a fishing forum, accept that everyone is different and no two peoples views will be the same.
No one here wants to be critiqued with statistics every time they express a view. Just look how this site has dropped to a trickle from what it used to be.
As previous history shows, you will be infuriated by such a response and resort to assumptions on my political, religious or social beliefs, without so much as a statistical fact to show for it, then you will throw the toys out of the cot and run off in a huff like you have previously.
Dougie, Please express your opinions, some are very interesting, BUT, STOP, with the need to proclaim others opinions as " lies" that's all I'm saying.

This is just my opinion, or maybe it's a lie, I guess by Wednesday we'll find out.....

Col

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:01 pm

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:08 pm

If it was really so important that the protests not go ahead maybe the state and federal governments should hold emergency sittings of their respective parliaments and enact the 200 or so recommendations from the various royal commissions into aboriginal deaths in custody that we’ve had over the years.

We keep having royal commission after royal commission, review after review looking into this stuff but for some reason no government has actually gone ahead and acted on any of the recommendations. No wonder people are pissed.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:17 am

I'm not going to bother responding to the other guy at length, i don't have the patience to go through it or the crayons to explain it on a level that he might understand. An opinion that's objectively disproven but still held is a symptom of long term tribal indoctrination, brought on by the level of control the media has over you, and an unwillingness to grow as a person. Screaming 'i'm right because i say so" in the face of objective evidence to the contrary will never ever make it true, and the refusal to even consider statistical evidence that your opinion might be misinformed is exactly how you will be manipulated into exploitation, in whatever form it may take. This is exactly what i'm talking about when I describe Tribalism.

I am on a crusade to prevent the spread of misinformation.

You are entirely entitled to whatever you want to express short of the hate speech that was being presented in here when I 'stormed off'. But I am also entitled to review any statement that gets made and point out that why it's inaccurate.
Troy McLure wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:16 am
Regarding the ABC stats about percentage of time spent talking about the LNP, that may be factually correct but from what I see they spend most of the time whacking them for this and that. ABC should be bang in the middle but I don’t think they are. Just my opinion. And for what it’s worth I’m not a regular Herald Sun reader anymore, they are like the ABC but to the right.
Left or right black or white, we’re just going in circles now. Treat others how you want to be treated and most things should fall into place.
Troy, you on the other hand seem pretty switched on and willing to engage in a sensible conversation. I did not mean to be offensive in any of the statements I made regarding your opinion and I apologise if that's how it was interpreted. You asked a question that is actually really really relevant and i provided an objectively true answer. Let me expand more.

The ABC appear to be constantly whacking the LNP in the last few years, because of two reasons.

Firstly, the LNP is in power and therefor is making the decisions, it's extremely difficult to write a story on the opposition because they largely don't do anything. This is one of the prime criticisms of both Shorten and to a lesser extent Albo. Shorten couldn't seem to get peoples attention no matter what he said or did, and Albo is only marginally better. The LNP, on the other hand, being in power and therefor actually making decisions that mean something, are subject to heavy criticism from any central platform because a whole bunch of what they are doing is not backed by good research, evidence or statistics. It's impossible to implement any effective policy when you're not in power, so for as long as the LNP are in power, they are going to be subject to the majority of the criticism for their policy. This isn't biased, it's the difference between reporting and opinion.

Secondly, the vast, vast majority of the Australian mainstream media is owned by the same guy. While the way they are expressed changes from source to source, the same series of talking points can be seen being repeated again and again by anyone owned by the Murdoch Corporation. There are, absolutely, left wing media outlets that pull just as far to the left as the Herald Sun pulls to the right. Vice, Buzzfeed and similar sites do dominate a very real proportion of the online media landscape, and the opinions presented within them are just as insane as some of the garbage you hear coming out of people like Alan Jones.

The link i provided shows that there is a tiny tiny little difference in the amount of time spent on the ABC prior to the last election dedicated to the LNP and Labor. The LNP had a very slightly greater share of radio time, while Labor had a very slightly greater share of TV and the written stories on the internet. The differences are all less than 5% and when you balance it out across all forms of media, I think the number works out to .6% bias in favor of Labor. The difference is so small it is statistically irrelevant when you're talking about election campaigns. The Murdoch media, on the other hand, literally ran 7 negative articles about labor for every 1 negative article about the LNP. This difference is 700%.

0.6% for the ABC, 700% for the Murdoch press. I can dig more sources out if I absolutely have too but as far as i can tell nobody on here bothers to read them anyway.

You can physically manifest the difference of how far left the ABC reporting was in the last election compared to how far right the reporting was from Murdoch using a simple analogy of geography. Let's assume that a .1% bias represents 100 metres of actual physical distance. If I stand at Fed Square in Melbourne, facing where Young and Jacksons used to be, and I turn left and walk to the aquarium, I would be at the physical representation of how far left the ABC is. It's bout 600m, it's a fair whack, and it would take me about 10 mintues to walk there. Most of us have probably actually done this. Now if I was to turn right instead of left, and walk to the physical manifestation of the Murdoch media on our hypothetical political map of Melbourne, assuming I could walk in a straight line, I would literally end up in Sydney.

One more time. I genuinely believe that WW3 is being fought through misinformation, and the more we can do to stop the spread of misinformation, the better society will become.

Also, the far left is just as out of their freaking minds as the far right, as demonstrated recently. I think this is the best example of it being broken down i've ever seen, and these guys are utterly hilarious at the same time, you only need to listen to the first 20 minutes.

Language warning etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZZNvT1vaJg&t=

Also since we're on a fishing forum. Quick report, 40 hour round trip, still no Victorian rock based tuna. Statistically possible, but unbelievably difficult.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi Dougie, That was an interesting post.
You seem to have missed my hole point in what I posted, and implied my level of comprehension would limit my understanding ???
As far as tribalism or needing crowns to reply to my post, I just thought I'd fill you in, I have a bachelor of business studies as well as a degree in marketing, so no crowns needed, I'm neither left nor right and pride myself on being able to firstly decipher the differences between fact or fiction and form my own educated decision, as are many here can that you have previously had conflict with.

I am always open to respectfully discuss different views or opinions, but I will not tolerate, racism, sexism bullies, or people that belittle others, to make themselves look better and refuse to accept others right to have a differing view.

Don't make the mistake Dougie in believing that you are of inferior breeding or standing in life, I certainly know I am not,, and respect all other opinions and views, even if I completely disagree with them.

MY gripe with your previous post, was how you decided that someones opinion, after you "factually proved it wrong", becomes a posed lie.
In your eyes, this becomes a lie, but you fail to understand other peoples rights, to express an opinion or have a belief, why feel the need to challenge and prove wrong a different view other than yours ?? you certainly do not have the right, to label someone a liar and discredit there view or opinion, you overstepped your calling in life there...

You have some interesting political views, some I may agree with, a lot, are mere here say and personal views. The trick Dougie, is to present, detail and put your view forward, Then, accept others differing views, without spitting the dummy, BUT, you walk a very shaky path, to declare anyone's opinions as Lies and to go on and declare that anyone that disagrees, or challenges your views has a lesser intelligence status, as you have implied in response to me.

I Don't post much now, but felt the need to in this instance, after reading most of the derailed and locked threads, you seem to be at the forefront of most of them and don't really seem to learn life's lessons about where your going wrong.
Conflict is going to continually follow you, until you can accept, that others, no matter what statistics you present, are still going to disagree with you. This is healthy, this is how life is, the differing of values and opinions are what makes society a healthy one, challenging those that only see black or white is how we all grow,,,, and learning when to hold your tongue or give up on a lost cause, a skill that took me a while to master.

You can take this, anyway you feel you need too, This, is purely my view and is not to start of a slanging match and get another thread locked,, But more to point out, what some describe, as offensive... anyways,,

That's my view, for what it's worth.......

Col

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:36 pm

Hey Dougie,
I’ve been a spectator for some time now in this tiring, repetitive cycle, comprising of your quest to enforce your political agendas. But now I feel it’s necessary to step in. Blacklab offered you some advice, urging you to alter the way you articulate your views, yet you respond to him with utter hostility. Dougie, when someone reaches out to you, taking their time and effort to help you improve you should know better than to bitterly turn them away. Everyone has imperfections, it’s up to you to take the opportunity to improve. Your moral investment in these agendas is exhibiting a festering confrontational and aggressive side of you. This “crusade” will achieve nothing if you don’t learn to communicate your agenda in a more respectful and civilised way. I think I speak on behalf of more than just myself when I say that you should really take a step back and reflect on the way you are behaving.

Return to “General”