Good place for newbie to practice outboard operation

HK_Freedom
Has liked: 13 times

Good place for newbie to practice outboard operation

Post by HK_Freedom » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:33 pm

Hi everyone, just migrated from Hong Kong to Melbourne for 2 years and want to learning boating to do some fishing here. Totally inexperience in boating. I am planning to buy an entry level 3.5m inflatable with trolling motor to practice my skill before further plan. Is there any good place around Melbourne for me to practice a small boat with trolling motor?
Thanks!

Sebb
Has liked: 3016 times

Re: Good place for newbie to practice outboard operation

Post by Sebb » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:04 am

HK_Freedom wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:33 pm
Hi everyone, just migrated from Hong Kong to Melbourne for 2 years and want to learning boating to do some fishing here. Totally inexperience in boating. I am planning to buy an entry level 3.5m inflatable with trolling motor to practice my skill before further plan. Is there any good place around Melbourne for me to practice a small boat with trolling motor?
Thanks!
Where are you in Melbourne? And I hope it's a good inflatable.

Most area in Port Phillip Bay don't have much current, etc, safe enough for 3.5m boat. It's not just the location, you need to learn and pay attention to the weather (wind, etc.).
Melbourne is famous for the weather sudden change and get people in trouble.

My suggestion is to ask and go with people who already knows what they're doing, until you're comfortable going alone, etc.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:00 am

I used to have a 3.5mtr inflatable but I had a 10hp motor on it. It was fast and very stable. I wouldn't go out in the bay with an electric motor, go to Werribee and launch at the boat ramp but go up the river, not into the bay, you have 6k's of river to practice in

HK_Freedom

Post by HK_Freedom » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:49 am

Thank you all for the advice. I will certainly try out the Werribee river to see how it goes. I’ve actually passed the boating license test but still no experience what so ever. My difficulty now is that my social circle here in Australia is still kind of small. Thus, it would be highly appreciated if any one here wouldn’t mind to could take me as an over aged observer to learn when you go out to the sea. Just a thought. I am currently in Balwyn North.
Appreciated for all the advice anyway!

Sebb
Has liked: 3016 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:59 am

HK_Freedom wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:49 am
Thank you all for the advice. I will certainly try out the Werribee river to see how it goes. I’ve actually passed the boating license test but still no experience what so ever. My difficulty now is that my social circle here in Australia is still kind of small. Thus, it would be highly appreciated if any one here wouldn’t mind to could take me as an over aged observer to learn when you go out to the sea. Just a thought. I am currently in Balwyn North.
Have you been on an inflatable boat before? And I hope it's a good inflatable.
It's stable but diff to a normal boat or even hard kayak.

I did once, fished around princess pier in Port Melbourne, inflatable boat and electric motor. Pick a really low wind and north wind. You can catch fish close to land, pretty popular spot so you can get help quickly if needed.

Fish around here and don't go too far. In close is about 3-4m deep and further is about 4-7m. Really watch the weather, especially the wind forecast.
Attachments
IMG_20220125_125752.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:30 pm

HK_Freedom wrote:
There's a member here called "Bowl', send him a message, he is always looking for a decky

HK_Freedom

Post by HK_Freedom » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:08 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:59 am
HK_Freedom wrote:

I did once, fished around princess pier in Port Melbourne, inflatable boat and electric motor. Pick a really low wind and north wind. You can catch fish close to land, pretty popular spot so you can get help quickly if needed.

Fish around here and don't go too far. In close is about 3-4m deep and further is about 4-7m. Really watch the weather, especially the wind forecast.

Currently I am looking at the Tobin Sport inflatable. The idea is I can use for rivers if I upgrade in the future when I can master boating a little better. Not sure if that is a rational plan. LOL

Let me try the Werribee river first, then here in the sea. Thanks!
Last edited by HK_Freedom on Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HK_Freedom

Post by HK_Freedom » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:09 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:30 pm
HK_Freedom wrote:
There's a member here called "Bowl', send him a message, he is always looking for a decky
Will message “Bowl” for that. Appreciated!

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:31 pm

HK_Freedom wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:08 pm
Sebb wrote:
HK_Freedom wrote:

Currently I am looking at the Tobin Sport inflatable. The idea is I can use for rivers if I upgrade in the future when I can master boating a little better. Not sure if that is a rational plan. LOL

You are going to love being on an inflatable up the werribee river, I used to take mine up there, with a 10hp motor she gets up on the plain and just flies across the water. One day I got caught in a storm out of Point Cook and I couldn't start the motor because it was too rough. I just sat down and let the wind and waves take me right back to shore, it just floated above all the turbulant water

HK_Freedom

Post by HK_Freedom » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:58 pm

Wow, that must be a little scary in the storm without propulsion. Did you have a EPIRB with you?

Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:31 pm
HK_Freedom wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:08 pm
Sebb wrote:
HK_Freedom wrote:

You are going to love being on an inflatable up the werribee river, I used to take mine up there, with a 10hp motor she gets up on the plain and just flies across the water. One day I got caught in a storm out of Point Cook and I couldn't start the motor because it was too rough. I just sat down and let the wind and waves take me right back to shore, it just floated above all the turbulant water

Return to “Boating”