The rule for carp..?!

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Mark1981

Re: The rule for carp..?!

Post by Mark1981 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Drifta between the carp in that place and the goldfish it's too bad they stopped people from fishing there about 17years ago

As for the eggs on birds feet.... Well that would have to be an interesting 1 that would require the Mythbusters I think haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wokka1

Post by wokka1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:50 pm

wokka1 wrote:
Time Poor wrote:There is a school of thought that fish eggs are transported on webbed birds' feet. This may go to explaining some, but not all?
Urban myths rarely explain anything. People put them there or they enter via flooded creeks, drains, storm water.
I apologise to Timepoor. The NSW DPI, at least, believe that this MAY have some impact, precisely as Time poor said.
vectors.JPG
vectors.JPG (57.4 KiB) Viewed 836 times
Ref: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... r-carp.pdf Page 8, 1.5 Vectors.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:59 pm

After 13 years of drought they repopulated the creeks and rivers around the wimmera as soon as water arrived, they are serious survivors! Re use as bait, cod love them, good for yabby bait too. Word is crayfish go for them too, will test that one in a couple of weeks when we go to SA...
My hobbies are fishing and golf, I guess I just like frustration..

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:18 pm

I was told by a DPI officer a long time ago that you could release "dead" carp back into the water legally. He stated they preferred that you cut it into small pieces , or stab it a few times along the back spine to pop the air bubble along the spine inside the fish ( to allow it to sink ).
Done the right way they preferred this as to leaving them lying around on the banks , and they served as food for other fish.

Not sure how this would stand these days ?

As for them spreading to areas like a disease ! , If you have a good read of the dpi site about carp , it states that they can live for hours out of water and travel ( flip flop across the land) a few km's to find new water holes .

Also , carp eggs are as bad as water snails in a fish tank, very hard to get rid of once you have them. Most new built lakes have a few plants/reeds transferred to them from other lakes , to help create a aquatic water way. Carp eggs ( like snail eggs ) stick to the water reed/grasses and are passed onto the next system also.
Rocks/gravel in tanks etc have to be boiled in hot water and plants thrown away/ tank glass bleach cleaned / to rid it fully of snails. You would have to do the same to plants and rocks etc introduced into new lakes to rid them of carp eggs also / from past lakes.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Growlermz

Post by Growlermz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:45 am

Mark1981 wrote:Yeah I know but what I'm saying though is that Fisheries Victoria ought to be careful on how they word things as if they saw someone do it and approached them, there is nothing they can do about it technically..
All I know is I want to go get a carp soon to test it out for bait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used small strips of carp fillet, pippies and white bait down at Inverloch over the Christmas holidays, the carp fillet caught the most fish hands down, if you get onto a carp, fillet it, scale it but DONT take the skin off! the skin will keep this on the hook, cut it into small strips and only pierce it once making sure you get it through the skin too.

I think its the oils in the carp that attract the fish, but they go crazy on it in the salt water.

I would be interested to see if all the keen salt water fishos were to use carp on one rod and their preferred bait on the other, which would catch more fish, if any one is willing to test this out for me and post your results. as I only have the 2 goto baits for salt water (carp and chicken) not being a big salt water fisho these are the easiest and cheapest/free options.

If i'm right It could achieve 2 things, more people fishing for carp to hopefully rid Australian waters of this pest (it wont happen in my lifetime but may happen eventually), some just for the cull and the thrill of the fishing, some targeting carp to introduce others to fishing, and some chasing carp to use it as bait

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:15 am

Growlermz wrote: I would be interested to see if all the keen salt water fishos were to use carp on one rod and their preferred bait on the other, which would catch more fish,
sounds like a good plan but for me I only see one problem -- catching a carp first
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:50 am

No apology necessary Wokka. The other major problem is that an adult carp, according to wiki, can lay up to 300,000 eggs per breeding cycle and has 3/4 cycles per year given the right conditions - that's a massive number. Clearly the attrition rate of carp is phenomenal.

I'm very interested in Growlermz's findings. Perhaps another use for them - burley?
There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:26 am

I recently asked the DPI a question about killing and disposing of Carp...here is their response:

Dear Greg

Thank you for your recent enquiry to the Department of Environment and Primary Industries Customer Service Centre.
The Department's response is:-

Under Victorian fisheries legislation common carp is a declared Noxious Species. This means that any carp caught by recreational fishers cannot be returned to the water alive.

Captured carp can therefore be disposed of on land as for any other type of fish waste, or they can be killed as quickly and humanely as possible and returned to the water.

Fisheries legislation does not prescribe methods for killing fish.

However, one suggested procedure for carp is:
Cut the throat,
Bend head back and break neck; and
Rupture air bladder (so that the fish will sink when returned to the water).

There are many carrion feeders/detritivores in the water which will feed on the carcass. eg water rats, tortoises, other fish, crayfish and yabbies as well as a myriad of smaller invertebrates.

Nutrients are being recycled.

Do not throw the fish back without rupturing the air bladder which is located along the spine in the gut cavity. Easily lanced with a knife. Dead fish floating about can be offensive to others.

It should be remembered that, for all fish species except carp and other declared Noxious Species, the Fisheries Regulations (No. 531) require that unwanted fish should be returned to the water ASAP with the minimum amount of damage.

The following link to the website may be of assistance to you: http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you require clarification or have a further enquiry, please do not hesitate to contact the Customer Service Centre on 136 186 between 8am - 6pm weekdays or email : customer.service@depi.vic.gov.au

Regards,
Customer Service Centre Team
Department of Environment and Primary Industries
( Ph: 136 186 ½ 3 Fx: (03) 5339 4680
8 Email: customer.service@dse.vic.gov.au

So it's quite okay to throw them back, as long as they are dead.

JamesW

Post by JamesW » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:51 am

People put em in the lakes so hey can fish. Stupid if ya ask me.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp - 17cm

Squid - 17cm

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:27 am

I don't know if you guys know, but there is currently a Carp comp running in Australia.

It's run online via a facebook page.

The new facebook page is called "101 Ways to Kill Carp".

There are three prize categories and anyone can enter.

Here is a link if anyone is interested. Comp was launched on the 20th of Jan, so just a short scroll down the page on the left.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/101-ways ... 7755796747

Cheers
Amanda

Return to “Other Species”